Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

Recall that Cruz came in a strong second in the 2016 GOP Primary. He’s running for “next in line” standard bearer for 2024 in case Trump gets prosecuted.

So his trip to Cancun during an emergency was just upholding Republican standards. Got it.

Ted Cruz made noises out of his mouth-hole.

Feces has a better reputation that Ted Cruz.

I wouldn’t call it a “strong” second. He was second, 551 to 1441. Certainly well ahead of the other two non-Trumps, but it’s a long stretch from there to the next in line. Those kinds of results don’t carry over eight years, especially as he gets more toad-like and disgusting with every passing day.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot for a minute that we’re talking about the Republicans only. So I should re-write that as “more attractive to the disgusting toads among Republican voters.”

This is untrue. As I said before, if you come across stupid MFs of a liberal bent, feel free to share.

I was specifically talking about the 2016 Republican primaries and possibly carryover of results to the 2024 Republican primaries, in my previous post of which I quoted a small portion. So when I said “we” I meant “me.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-greene-downplays-jan-6-attackers-as-teenagers-who-walked-through-the-capitol/ar-BB1e80X4?li=BBnb7Kz

claiming that some of the pro-Trump insurrectionists were just “teenagers” taking a walk through the historic building

and murdered a police office and sent all of congress scattering for cover.

And they were some old fucking teenagers!

Increasingly, the RW has been playing a game: let’s see how far we can stretch the batshit crazy stuff, operating on the premise that our base never ventures outside the RW echo chamber.

MTG is their starting QB (Quarterback/QAnon Believer – your pick) right now, but the clown car is packed and ready.

So she’s the Ryan Leaf of the Republican Party. (Huge draft bust.)

Ugh. I really, really, really don’t want to defend Marjorie Taylor Greene in any way, shape, or form, but…

Here’s the actual text of her Tweet:

If Democrats pass the Anti-Police bill this week, it will become illegal for the FBI to use facial recognition from video footage to identify suspects. The @FBI won’t be able to tweet pics like this or of teenagers they are pursuing, who walked through the Capitol on 1/6.

Followed by an embedded image featuring the faces of a number of the insurgents from the 1/6 attack.

That Tweet pretty clearly seems to indicate that she thinks the FBI should be allowed to use facial recognition technology to identify and track down those individuals. Which seems like opposite of downplaying the attack. The “or of teenagers they are pursuing” is just weird - I’d actually bet on some sort of autocorrect fluke. In context, it just doesn’t make sense in general, much less as an attempt to downplay what happened.

Of course, I could be wrong. I haven’t been paying attention to her Tweets. Is this part of a broader pattern by her of playing down the insurrection? (Though if so, why is she making the insurrectionists the literal poster children for the kinds of criminals the FBI should be allowed to use facial recognition on?) Or is she one of the folks blaming Antifa? (It could be both, of course; conspiracy theorists often believe in multiple mutually contradictory conspiracies simultaneously).

If Democrats pass the Anti-Police bill this week, it will become illegal for the FBI to use facial recognition from video footage to identify suspects

Anyone have the text of the ‘Anti-Police’ bill? I got a fiver that says it don’t say what she says it says.

Facial recognition technology is highly biased to being able to identify white people, though. It’s notoriously unreliable at identifying POC.

I’m ambivalent on its use, just as I’m ambivalent about putting cameras up everywhere.

Possibly this section of “H.R.7120 - George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2020”. The act talks about bodycams and cameras attached to patrol vehicles and then this section says, “No camera or recording device authorized or required to be used under this part may be equipped with or employ facial recognition technology, and footage from such a camera or recording device may not be subjected to facial recognition technology.”

So wait - they are back to liking the FBI? It’s so hard to keep up.

It seems to me as if there are already cameras everywhere now regardless of anyone’s feelings about them. They just don’t necessarily belong to the government or law enforcement. Cameras watching government and law enforcement seem to be gaining traction too.

To the White-wing, the FBI, like any other government agency, is just a birdie :badminton:.

Which indeed does make her post seem to be incorrect. They would still be able to use the footage. They would just not be able to face tracking software to find them. I don’t see any reason such would be necessary since the videos are public and real humans could identify them. It’s not the like facial recognition software is verifiably better than human detection–it has a whole lot more false positives.

As for the word “teenagers”–I could accept @gdave’s idea it was an autocorrect error, but I’d need an idea of what she originally meant, and Green herself would need to correct it or remove the tweet.

I generally believe that, if you are informed of but don’t correct your “mistake” then it clearly wasn’t actually a mistake.

Which she won’t do, because admitting even a trivial mistake like a typo is off-brand, and if the libs are upset by it, even better. As I wrote, I really don’t want to defend her. But…“teenagers” just doesn’t make any sense in context, whether or not she’s trying to downplay the insurrection. From the context, I’d guess she meant to type “fugitives” and fat-fingered it into a mess that auto-corrected to “teenagers”. And, again, the Tweet seems to be doing the opposite of downplaying the insurrection.

But, yes, her fantasies about the legislation bear scant resemblance to the actual facts of the real legislation. I’m not going to try to defend that part of her Tweet - that part is good old fashioned distortion (to the extent of outright fabrication) of an opponent’s position to stoke outrage among the base.