Omnibus World Football Thread 2020-2022 (edited)

Huh - TIL - never knew Mirolsav Klose was an assistant coach with BM.

He only moved up from U17 last year. so it’s a newish thing.

Wow, isn’t that quite the jump?
I guess having had a stellar playing career helped.

And he’s a clever guy so could make for a great coach. He only has to work on his presentation, as a player he never was a friend of too many words. He may be too modest for a head coach.

Liverpool going from one of the worlds best teams to one of the worst in a couple weeks time is shocking. Allisons ‘mistakes’ should raise a red flag.

Why the scare quotes? Surely you’re not suggesting he’s following in Grobelaar’s footsteps?

Obviously I have no proof but its very strange that the man who was perhaps thought of as the best GK in the world at the New Year has made two horrific mistakes in two vital games. [conspiracy theory mode] Brazil has deadly gangs. What if they are threatening his family? [/conspiracy theory mode]

Im sure its just a series of bizarre and untimely coincidences. I feel doubly bad for Klopp because his mother died last week. What a shocking collapse by Liverpool.

Keep polishing that tinfoil hat :slight_smile:.

I think anyone can make a mistake - then that can lead to a loss of confidence, which can lead to more mistakes. De Gea is another example - best player at United 2 years in a row, looked almost unbeatable - then a couple of errors happened and now teams are firing it at him from anywhere. Which is another factor - if you’re facing a keeper on top form, you don’t shoot from outside the box, no point - you almost try to pass it round them. But once they spill one, oh boy, let’s keep shooting and following up. That in itself is bound to lead to more errors, and it can snowball.

I think he’ll recover - yet another factor of course is not having a stable, experienced CB partnership. Trust between CB and goalie is crucial and clearly that didn’t exist yesterday.

I agree, especially about the CDs.
This has been a very interesting EPL season. Im still hoping Leicester can pull off another miracle.

They won’t win the league this year, but they’re looking extremely good for a top 4 finish. A couple of years ago, a season or two after their title, they were in ninth place or something and having an indifferent season, and I predicted that would be the highest they would get - I even thought they might take the road back to the Championship that is so familiar to other previously high flying teams like Leeds, Forest, Newcastle etc. I’m delighted they have proved me wrong; it’s a credit to their fans, players, and management. They do still benefit from being slightly under the radar compared to the ‘big’ clubs, and therefore don’t have the same pressure on them. But they’ve really made the most of that.

I’ll go with Jan Oblack

Oh…wait…sorry, I thought you were talking about Fabien Barthez. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And now, to introduce…the grossest…the vilest…the most pukeworthy…

Like, WHAT IS UP with these PSG kits yesterday?!?

I wish I was a tie-dyed deadhead freak or something, but it does look like someone’s fruit drink(s) spilled all over it.
Barfadelic.

The Challenge, now: to name a grosser kit.
You can’t.
Nope.

VfL Bochum, ca. 1997:

I found the pic in a whole gallery of ugly football jerseys (sorry, only German link, but the pics speak for themselves):

Number 10…the dolphin one.

Holy fuck.

Its nice to see Coolio making a comeback.

Ive always thought that the Barca kit was hard to look at.

And any of these:

Juventus being 4th in Serie A is interesting. They’re fighting to make it 10 in a row and are so used to having it their own way. Even in years where they had one challenger that team would usually falter leaving Juventus to cruise to the finish line. Hard to see how three teams above can all mess up. I think Zlatan might just have enough in the tank to take AC Milan all the way.

Barcelona 1-4 Paris St Germain

Second time Mbappe has overshadowed Messi. First in that amazing World Cup knock out game and now tonight. Incredible hattrick and you can tell that when Barcelona are down they grovel. When Messi leaves they are in deep trouble. A billion in debt, terrible recruitment over the years, mediocre management.

Missed the game. Glad I did. Not too glad about their woes - no one paid in January, and owing money to at least six teams, among other fun.
Crummytown.

I hate Barca but its kinda unfair to criticize them. Kinda. How can any club realistically hope to replace Iniesta, Xavi, Neymar, Suarez, etc. Messi was never the athletic specimen that CR7 was. He could never impose his will on the opposition single-handedly. But its not out of the realm of possibility that they pull off another miracle against PSG.

Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele cost 100 Million euros each and have been big flops for that investment. That’s just two players. Meanwhile other clubs, notably Bayern, don’t spend huge sums on individual players but have rebuilt successfully from the Robben/Ribery/Lahm/Schweinsteiger team that won the Champions League in 2013.

I agree with you about Messi but there’s almost been an arrogance about Barcelona that has come back to haunt them. They expected the good times to continue and when things went south blame the coach rather than the hierarchy who have wasted so much money in recent years. Not to mention they chose to let Suarez go and for so cheap to a rival.

Sure, I’d say CR7 could out-sprint that little bugger and his short little choppy-chop strides, as well as out-heading LM, but on the other hand I’d say LM has singlehandedly imposed his will on the opposition, particularly this season, by virture of the fact that without him, the opposition would’ve imposed their will much more so on Barca, with the little puke’s goal total exactly half the current team total. Not to mention his steady assist tallies, and the oodles and oodles of his teammates’ blown goal-scoring opportunities, which could’ve given him a lot more assists.