Omnibus World Football Thread 2020-2022 (edited)

Well, that Bayern-PSG match was something, huh? The Bayern backline has been disorganized all year (for many reasons), and PSG’s didn’t look any better. Man that was disappointing.

Last night’s game between PSG and Bayern was great. PSG were really tactically sharp in counter attacks but not taking any of those opportunities kept the tie on a knife-edge knowing Bayern were just one goal away from turning the tide. I back PSG to go on and win the competition now. They’ve avenged their defeat in last year’s final and Pochettino is a great manager.

That was just the kind of instance where PSG has folded in the past. They may have been a little lucky surviving those shots off the woodwork but credit to their persistence.

Excited for tomorrow evening… MLS is back! Especially after a fantastic couple of weeks for MLS teams in Concacaf Champions League!

In CONCACAF play, cool to see Toronto FC play their very first game of the year against a Mexican side who was already well-established, half-way into their season.
TFC eked out a 2-1 win, missing some veteran starters - impressive. They’ll have a tougher time in the quarters against Cruz Azul.

For those interested in the Bundesliga: Hansi Flick just announced that he will leave Bayern after this season (after Bayern winning 3-2 in Wolfsburg and most probably securing the championship).

We are at least two! And hoping for the Cup final tonight, still looking out for where to watch it live. Looks difficult.

Can’t tell you how disappointing this is, but if all the rumored conflict with board member/sporting director Brazzo (Salihamidžić) is true, I get it. Plus, he was on the coaching bench for the 2014 WC win, and it will be good to see him back there after the Loew train wreck.

It’s going to be a weird season next year, with Boateng, Alaba, and Martinez gone…three guys who have all been there since 2012 or earlier. Inevitable, but I’ll miss watching them there.

I can understand Flick. I’ve always thought that he’s just the more intelligent of both (him and Brazzo), and that he felt restricted in his decisions by the sporting director. I hope he’ll be Löw’s successor, he’s a very good coach and knows the inner workings of the DFB (whose inner workings at the moment are mostly catastrophic in all regards, though).

My hope is that - if it’s true that he’ll take the DFB job - that they just do it before the Euros, not wait for Löw to run out his string. The team needs attention now, and it’s not even the Mueller/Boateng/Hummels question, it’s how terribly organized they looked in the WC qualifying.

Won’t happen. The DFB is VERY traditional and conservative with hiring/firing coaches and doesn’t fire a coach with well deserved merits on a whim. Compare how many coaches Germany had since 1945 to, say, England, or any other association for that matter. On top of that, the DFB is caught up in a power struggle between president Fritz Keller and some of his top officials, and a premature change of coaches would only increase that chaos.

Barça won the Copa de España, 4:0. :smiley: I could not see it, but friends with a Spanish TV subscription told me by SMS that hey played brilliantly. The Liga title is still possible, that would be a nice doblete, specially considering how very bad they started the season.

That’s helpful perspective, thanks. :slight_smile:

Pleased with the convincing Barca result - they could use the wins, given their heavy debt and PR shenanigans. Their only games I see are weekly La Liga games via Bien Sports. (It’d be nice to see some cup or EUFA stuff!)
If they win the title, that indeed would be the accomplishment considering losing four and drawing twice in their first 12.
They’re only five points back of Atleti as I write this (with the annoying Los Merengues middling somewhere in between), but I think RM will take the crown anyway. Courtois has been looking so solid. About five weeks to go.
With 31 goals in all competions this season, Messi is the sole reason Barca is even in the conversation; they would’ve stayed in the muck if he hadn’t singlehandedly pulled them out. Most likely still wants outta there (and still not getting paid?), and still makes them unlikely contenders.
If he ever does wind up in Man City, I can’t see his game flourishing like it did on the slightly larger La Liga pitches. (not to mention age, British food shock :nauseated_face:) While no one can breathe the cramped oxygen of tip-toeing the ball through a crowded gaggle of defenders like Messi, he’ll have less open space for his seeing-eye diagonals, as well as stretching defenders out wide, among other playmaking shortcomings.
But wow if Barca pull off the title, that’ll have to be one of their best crowns, doing it under such adversity.
And also since Dortmund and Cheslea have bagged out… :confused:

This €uropean Super League idea seems crazy on the surface, especially now that governing organizations are saying that players who play in that league won’t be allowed to play in the World Cup or other national team events. How likely is this to actually happen?

I can’t imagine that they will actually stand by that. Imagine how many money they’d lose if a World Cup didn’t have Messi or Ronaldo.

Yes, but it’s brinksmanship isn’t it - who blinks first? I doubt Messi or Ronaldo (or many players really) will want to be remembered as abandoning their national team. Obviously UEFA and FIFA are hoping this will kill the idea.

I mean, Portugal hasn’t cleared the round of 16 since 2006, so there’s that… but yes, excluding a lot of big stars would lead to some diminishment in revenue, assuming the TV deals they have in place would be renegotiated.

Commendable that Bayern, Dortmund and PSG have opted out of the gong show. Or, for now, anyway - apparently Bayern and Dortmund still have 30 days to sign up and PSG has 14.

/Oscar Goldman/ Steve! Don’t do it! /OG/

I guarantee the reason for that is that the ownership of PSG (the Qataris) also own BeIN which has broadcast rights for the UCL.