Omnibus World Football Thread 2020-2022 (edited)

If you keep posting Motörhead links, I’m sure you’ll soon be one of my most replied to posters, too. :metal:

It is not exactly football, but almost: they were the first concert I went to, in 1981 (I believe), in the Pabellón Deportivo del Real Madrid (were they used to play basketball and probably still do).

– And what did Real Madrid ever give me?
– Three days of tinnitus.

Yeah that does honestly suck about Aguero.
33, a couple more half decent seasons left in him (then a couple more, say, in MLS). I remember watching the 15 y.o. upstart with Independiente and wondering how much his career might end up paralleling Messi’s. (arguably the two greatest South American players of the last 20 years?)

There is nothing that makes steam come out of my ears more than laser-pointers.
I do back-flips.

Messi’s certainly #1 in the last 20, but I’m not sure Aguero makes my top 10.

Definitely ahead: Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Neymar, Cafu, Mascherano, Luis Suarez

In the same league: Roberto Carlos, Dani Alves, Angel di Maria, Thiago Silva, Diego Godin, Edinson Cavani, Arturo Vidal, Marcelo

Behind: Higuain, Carlos Tevez, Alexis Sanchez

And in the second group I think I’d have Carlos, Alves, and Silva ahead. Now Ronaldo and Cafu had a lot of careers more than 20 years ago so maybe they don’t count.

I watched the Man Utd vs Aston Villa FA Cup game earlier. Utd won 1-0 with an early goal but how Villa did not score is hard to believe. There was a 20 minute spell in the second half where all the play was in Utd’s half.

How did Aston Villa’s GK do?, He’s one of the pillars of our national team and we really need him to be at his top game this november.

Nothing he could really have done more for the goal. Every other time he was called into action he did it fine. There wasn’t actually much for him to do though because his team were the dominant team and created better chances. David De Gea had a great game in goal for Man Utd.

Forgot to mention the Man City FA Cup match against Swindon Town a week ago. Sure, it was a League Two opponent, but Cole Palmer’s play was amazing throughout the game, capping with a really pretty sharp-angle goal at the end.

Alphonso has “mild” myocarditis following his recent COVID infection. Hopefully he recovers quickly and fully. It probably will keep him out of the next set of WC qualifiers at least.

Yes, Davies officially out for the next 3 matches in qualifying.

Yeah, disconcerting. He was needed. He’s made the difference in several games. This will really show Canada’s grit and resolve if they can still prevail without him. Hopefully Jonathan David will really rise to the occasion here and show he’s equally as valuable to the team. Two of their next three games are against Honduras and Salvador, which helps, but then the US on the 30th.
They gotta do this for The Phonz. :sunglasses:

Tomorrow Canada is in wonderfully humid Honduras; on Saturday, they host the US; and then in El Salvador on Wednesday.
Stephen Eustáquio, recenlty on loan to Porto, tested positive with covid on the weekend, and still a question mark for tomorrow.
Last time we were in Honduras,10 years ago, we got punched in the face 8-1, so I hope some revenge is in store.

Honduras 0 - 2 Canada
USA 1 - 0 El Salvador
Jamaica 1 - 2 Mexico
Costa Rica 1 - 0 Panama

Canada, the US, and Mexico stay at the top. Costa Rica saved their chances by beating the team directly above them. 5 matches left. If either Panama or Costa Rica gets through, they’ll have earned it, as they both still have to play all of the top 3.

Canada’s second goal was a very nice fast counterattack by David.

A couple oddities about this window’s CONCACAF qualifying: in essence, the group was divided in half for these three games, with each half-group playing a round-robin format. So Canada, USA, El Salvador and Honduras play round-robin, and Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica are playing a separate round-robin of their own.

Even odder, the half-groups are [1,2,7,8] and [3,4,5,6] in order of standings at the start of the window. And for this matchday, 1 played 8, 2 played 7, 3 played 6 and 4 played 5 - the same pairings as it would have been for a seeded knockout tournament.

I have no idea what any of this means.

The USA got the job done, but in less-than-inspiring fashion. They’re in good shape for the Honduras match (note that the Central American teams have drawn twice and lost six times on matchdays 3 & 6 of the Octo, the third matchdays of their respective windows) and if they can eke out a draw against Canada, they’ll should be able to make matchday 14 at Costa Rica irrelevant to qualification.

Canada maintains its unbeaten record with a 2-0 win over US. Stellar save Borjan made in the 44th minute, just under the crossbar. Sitting nicely in the table now.

Good gameplan that Canada played to a t and the ref allowed. Vitoria in particular should have been sent off.

Pulisic doesn’t look like the world beater that Americans were expecting/hoping for. And the US continues to play below what their expected talent level is. The rest of qualifying is going to be anxiety filled.

I’m really amazed at this run that Canada is having. Like, it’s clear now that they’re a good squad, but this recent stretch of wins is something else. 4 ahead of Mexico and the US, 5 ahead of Panama, and 9 up on Costa Rica, with 4 games left. They’re not mathematically qualified yet, but it’s becoming pretty hard to picture them missing out, especially because Mexico, the US, and Panama still all have to play each other.

A poetic way for it to go would be for Canada to win at home against Jamaica in March, with draws in their other 3 matches. That would give them a win and a draw against all 7 other teams.

Canada’s a good squad, but unless they’re drawn with Qatar I’m guessing they don’t get any points in the WC. They basically has 3 chances against the US, all of which were gifted to them vs Canada creating (which is a good game plan for them!) and scored on 2 of them. That being said, they have, by far, the best player in the region and he wasn’t playing so it’s not like they were at full strength.

Canada didn’t have a ton of chances, but that’s at least partly due to strategy and their missing players, and of course the fact that they’d scored the early goal. For sure in a lot of other games, they’ve generated much more offence.

I’m more optimistic about how they’d do in the WC, but I’m biased of course :smile:. If they have Davies, Tajon, David, etc., they always have at least a puncher’s chance. Plus Borjan seems capable of randomly stealing a game.

Canada, the US, and Mexico all won, as did Costa Rica. The top 3 are in very good shape, and Panama and Costa Rica are likely fighting over the 4th place spot.

All in all, I find it extremely fitting that the play that effectively qualifies Canada to the World Cup is Canadian legend Atiba Hutchinson scoring what very well may be the greatest CONCACAF goal of all time: