On Fixing a Toilet

Well, the other day, the toilet wouldn’t stop running so I got a new flapper ball and put it in.

Now, the handle has to be held down for about 10 seconds when flushing, or the flapper will just slam shut, and the toilet won’t flush.

Does that mean the new chain is too long? Too short? I hate having to stand there, holding the handle!

JoWallaby

Chain’s too long. It’s not pulling the flapper up enough to let the water cycle happen before it closes itself.

Having had this problem myself, I can tell you that yes, the chain is too long.Unhook it from the lever-thingy and hook it back a few links lower.
And if you have one of those lever action tub drain setups, i can tell you how to fix those as well.
I learned improv-plumbing in my first apartment :wink:

As the third in the chorus of amateur plumbers, I would say that the chain is too short, and would suggest you try to shorten it to resolve the problem.

Bill

You don’t have a thing to worry about. I’ll have the jury eating out of my hand. Meanwhile, try to escape.

Sig by Wally M7, master signature architect to the SDMB

Okay, then! Thank you for your answers.

Billdo, you really had me quite confused for a sec there; I am assuming your furioulsy typing fingers were typing as fast as you were thinking! :wink: (if it’s too short, make it shorter!?)
Reminds me of that bumper sticker: If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is!

Off to domestic.

to BE domestic… to do domestic things…

Very bizarre. This exact thing happened to me yesterday! (Or, more specifically, yesterday was the day I’d finally had enough and tried to fix it.)

As mentioned above, it was just a matter of re-hooking up the chain a few links lower to make it tighter.

“We are here for this – to make mistakes and to correct ourselves, to withstand the blows and to hand them out.” Primo Levi

There is a great website for people who have toilet trouble:
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

Chrome,

One thing you should know about me: It is only when I am incoherent that you should take my advice. When what I say appears to make logical sense, immediately stop and do the opposite!

Billdo

You don’t have a thing to worry about. I’ll have the jury eating out of my hand. Meanwhile, try to escape.

Sig by Wally M7, master signature architect to the SDMB

Here is what I do when I have a problem with my toilet: I call my dad. I suggest you do the same. Let me know if you need his phone number. :wink:

Incidentally, when the chain is too short, the water keeps running and running and eventually overflows the toilet while you’re at the movies, so obviously Chrome Toaster’s chain is too long.