on my, what a sad, sad day it's been

I just returned from a funeral for a 14 year old boy who committed suicide. It was probably the saddest thing I have seen - ever. This boy seemingly had it all, wonderful parents, two great sisters, tons of relatives, tons of friends, good in school, seemed to love life. I could go on and on. I not only knew the parents well, I also knew 2 of his aunts & 2 of his uncles, upstanding family. Apparently he left a note saying he had thought of it for a while and it was nobody’s fault and that he loved everybody. On the outside, he seemed as happy as a lark, nobody had a clue that there was anything wrong. I know we will never know, but what could have possessed this boy to do this? I mean, if he outwardly sad or crying all the time, had no friends, did lousy in school, ect. but not so with this kid. Chemical imbalance maybe? can a person that young be that depressed that he would want to end his life, and leave absolutely no clues to his state of mind (obviously yes, BUT I JUST DON’T FREAKIN GET IT!!!)

Okay, I’m gone to have another good cry -

Hang in there. I really don’t know what to say, other than, well, hang in there.

That is so sad, and I am so sorry, especially for his family!

It is so hard to understand. But I have gone through similar stuff. To the outside observer, I am happy, successful, smart, have lots of friends, great family, etc. … But sometimes deep inside I feel the same way as that boy, and I have had this problem since my early teens (I am 29 now). I have been on antidepressants for the majority of my adult life. I can’t even explain it to myself. I guess I just need to know that I have ultimate control over my life… I didn’t ask or choose to be born, but I have control over whether I remain here. And when shit gets too tough, sometimes I feel like it’s just not worth it… I know in my rational mind that is not true, but sometimes emotion takes over. Like I said, it’s hard to explain.

It sounds like this boy was smart, and thought it through. It’s a shame he had to hurt his family like that.

Moving thread from IMHO to MPSIMS.

When adolesents suffer from Clinical Depression, they withdraw, & get very quiet.
Too often, parents react with relief after a noisy childhood.

Yup, it can be you don’t suspect anything till you hear they’re dead. Just reminded me there was a memorial mass for someone I knew who commited suicide just the other day.

There’s a country song dealing with this topic. It’s called How Do You Get That Lonely.

Sample available here.