On Retraining my cat: It is working....kind of

This is just about as mundane and pointless as it gets but my life is just chock full of the M&P so here goes.

Remember how my youngest cat Elvin (the little dear) was waking me up each day in the wee hours of the morning when he decided it was time to be fed? I talked about it in this thread and again in this one

Moving the feeding time didn’t make any difference but squirting the little bugger sure has. For about a week now I’ve been able to sleep right up until my alarm goes off in the morning. YAY! :smiley:

If he does decide to scratch on the door it’s not the insistent pounding that it was before but just a meek little scritch, scritch, and only if I’m sleeping later than usual. This, as usual is met with a full squirt bottle attack.

Except that he’s expecting to be squirted now so as soon as he hears me approach the door he hauls ass into the living room. In an effort to be consistent and end his harrassment once and for all, I haul my semi-sleeping self into the living room and squirt the little bastard. I always find him crouched in the same spot next to the couch.

The added bonus is that at least once this week I forgot to set my alarm and was oversleeping. His scratch at the door woke me up before I was late for work so that was a good thing.

I still squirted him though.

After reading your previous threads, I’ve been retraining my cat not to scratch the couch. I had been squirting her, but that didn’t seem to do the trick. She’d just scratch the opposite side and run away whenever I got close with the squirt bottle.

I am now lifting her up and throwing her into the shower while it’s on. And the scratching seems to be lessening.

iamthewalrus(:3=/ they can be hard headed little creatures, can’t they. I haven’t tried the water for scratching yet. Mostly because there’s no one home for a few hours each day and I always figured that he’d wait and scratch when I was gone.

I’ve got the Softpaws on Elvin, the only one with claws, but if he’s got a claw free he scratches.

What’s really funny is that he sees the squirt bottle and flinches before I squirt but doesn’t run away until the water actually hits him. It’s kinda funny, really.

I was so careful to spell you name correctly that I f’ed up the coding. Preview :smack: