On the closing of the DrDeth Pit thread

Yeah I agree. That’s why I’m okay with closing it.

I did post in the thread while the countdown was going on so that makes me seem hypocritical, but I wasn’t posting to “dance on his grave” or anything, it was in response to someone asking what the controversy was about him and didn’t want to read over 1,000 posts to figure it out, so I tried to explain. Before that I kept out of the thread and was just waiting for it to lock.

I’d have been just as happy if it was just closed immediately.

I think that WE and Miller handled the whole thing very well.

I was pretty much done here, but with several comments raised about the above, I really feel I have to be very clear, I have no special hostility toward DrDeth, contrary to the accusation implied above. I wasn’t even a particularly active participant in that thread, and my last post there, which was two days before it was closed, clearly said “TBH, at this point I kind of feel sorry for him. I don’t think he’s a troll, or evil … I still hope he isn’t banned, but the sanctions the mods have taken and the further ones being contemplated can only be described as ‘regrettably necessary’.” (I’ve edited out the parts that are not relevant here.)

So that’s not what this ATMB thread is about. It’s about what seemed to me some rather inexplicable moderation that had no apparent rationale and no precedent. I thank @What_Exit for the further explanations, and I’ve read them carefully, but I still stand by the objections I raised earlier. But I already made my case and I’m not going to rehash it, so as I said before I’m content to let the matter drop. I guess whether the arbitrary closing of that thread somehow makes us a better board remains to be seen.

The only objection I could possibly get behind here is that you might have been stepping on Miller’s toes. Since Miller is good with it I’d think all is good and well in the barbecue pit.

~Max

How grateful the mods must feel for your helpful advice about what they should do.

If all is well in the Pit then something is wrong.

I would argue that for someone like DrDeth, who admitted he didn’t read the Pit, a Pit thread about him would be no burden at all since from his perspective it was non-existent.

And maybe you could enlighten us on how trying your Pit thread has been for you.

Nothing at all. @BigT is angry at me because he called out my name in a thread I wasn’t posting in, so I pointed out some examples of what a hypocrite he is.

I would argue that you are not paying attention. He obviously read it since he complained about posts in it.

Not trying at all, I didn’t read it. I did get a chuckle out of the fact that the moron who started it couldn’t even get my name right in the title.

When @BigT wags his finger, mods listen.

Moderator Note

Feel free to discuss the issues here in ATMB, but don’t turn this into a personal attack on another user.

Personal insults are not permitted outside of the Pit.

Keep your posts appropriate to ATMB, please.

Dial back the snark. Again,this is ATMB, not the Pit. Treat other users with respect.

I concur with this. If DD gets a cooling off period, it’s only fair for us to have one too so that he doesn’t come back to a month’s worth of Pit posts about him, which would be entirely counterproductive. And I’m fine with a winddown period for threads like this too - enough for a bit of ‘closure’ before actual closure.

If he kicks off again when he’s back, we can kick off again too.

What the what now? At most I’d call that particular post “a bit snarky” and certainly not remotely comparable to the Pit thread. It doesn’t come close to “hateful”. Later posts in this thread, maybe, but not that one.

How is this a personal attack? He made a statement and I corrected his error. In no way was it a personal attack. It’s no secret DrDeth reads his pit thread, he posts about it all the time.

If my post is a personal attack, why wasn’t this one?

I don’t know what you have against me that you feel the need to mod many of my posts in this Forum while letting similar posts slide. This is the third time you’ve done this in the last few weeks. As far as I know I’ve never said a word against you as a mod or as a poster. The fact that you never respond to my replies about your notes tell me something is off. Maybe you should send me a PM and we can work this out.

Since you posted this, I just want to point out that you have disabled PMs. Perhaps on accident.

ETA: I think you can turn them back on by following this link, then look for the personal messages checkbox at the bottom: https://boards.straightdope.com/u/mordecaib/preferences/notifications

~Max

I’m kinda surprised you didn’t catch a warning for this, tbh

Telling the truth is worth a warning now? A poster asked what was going on and I answered.

Yeah, that’s an excellent paraphrase of what I said, good show.

What paraphrase? You quoted a comment of mine and said you were surprised it didn’t get a warning. Since the comment was true I don’t see how it broke any rule.

Please help me out here, because there may be a miscommunication. Do you understand the rule to read, “No personal insults, unless they’re the truth”?

If someone is an asshole, it’s still against the rules to call them an asshole. “But it’s the truth!” is a terrible defense of bad behavior.

It didn’t get modded, did it? And as we can see, ECG has no problem modding me in this forum. If telling one poster that another poster is a hypocrite, in direct response to a question, is against the rules then I’ll take the hit.

Did you report it? Sarcasm is generally not allowed when used in an insulting way against other posters outside of the Pit so it was probably worth reporting. It doesn’t excuse your more blatant attacks though.

I’ve been noted for simply stating that a person is clearly having trouble understanding me, which was true, but too close to attacking them to be allowed (in P&E at least) and I took the note and bowed out of the discussion.

Calling someone a hypocrite is an insult, which you know is not allowed outside of the Pit. Of course it’s against the rules.