On the killing of wasps

Bees=/= wasps, but for this I am willing to seize upon tenous links…
Oh dear lord! Bees!

Just make sure to plug your vacuum hose after with a rag or something. If you have a vacuum that uses a bag, the wasps won’t go through the fan to get chopped up, and may wake up a little shaken up, but some pissed off & able to fly & sting, inside you vacuum. Oh, and wasps can chew through paper vacuum bags.

I used my shop-vac to suck up three bumblebee queens this spring that somehow got into our basement looking for a place to start a colony nest. Things were the size of a quarter with wings. You could still hear them buzzing in there after they got sucked in. I used an old T-shirt to plug the hose, and left them to die in there for a few days before I changed the bag. I had thought about spraying insecticide into the running vacuum, but I was afraid the motor might set it off and cause a fuel-air explosion. Had I had some ashes or dry-wall dust, or some other very fine powder, I could have smothered them by sucking it up.

My normally totally unflappable wife was quite freaked out, and visibly scared, which I had never seen before. Never was I made to feel more like a valiant knight mounting his steed to go battle dragons than when I went into that basement. :smiley: It’s amazing how much an appeal to male pride can overcome fear. (I have a bit of a a bee/wasp./yellow-black-stingy-insect phobia too)

We’ve had about one colony moving into our yard each summer - for the ground ones, we get that foaming wasp nest eradicator - it has worked fine for us. For the ones that built a nest in our siding and started coming into the house, we used spray-on insulation foam to seal up their outside access to the nest. That seems to have done the trick. We also use cats to combat wasps - my cat apparently has developed a taste for them. :slight_smile: (She eats the whole bug except the stinger - she’s not the brightest cat ever, but she has her moments.)