[QUOTE=Nic2004]
I’m not crazy about the “Claims” part but understand and agree with your opinion. I am able to tolerate as are you. I am by no means a Shrinking Violet. All the same, some words seem much more crass than others. I recall a serious train wreak about the use of the “C” word. ** Without fail posts with the foul language title seem to run forever and get bumped regularly. ** I have had this conversation before with others in the past as I mentioned up-thread and don’t consider myself as responsible for “Causing” this to happen. These typically are in the middle of an unrelated thread and it is quickly dropped to avoid a highjack.
[/QUOTE]
(boldingmine)
Shouldn’t this be an indication that The Board doesn’t see the language as a problem? Or at least, not enough to get in the way of a good thread? If we were bothered by it, we’d report it and ask for a name change, or simply not open it. The fact that these are the long-lived threads usually means they’re the popular threads. I know this place isn’t a democracy, but I still don’t get why you opened the thread.
One poster, Keweenaw, finally came in and said that it’s a problem for him (her) personally. You and a couple others aren’t bothered yourself, but think that someone out there must be offended, so we should talk about it. Frankly, in this thread, I have a lot more respect for **Keweenaw **than the rest of you. **Keweenaw **is speaking up about something that means something and impacts him/her. The rest of you are simply falling prey to pre-emptive handwringing of the most irritating political correctness variety. It’s the kind of thinking that gets the handicapped labeled “differently abled” or when the handicapped people themselves were just fine with handicapped, or the black people “African American” even if they’re not of African descent or American. It’s demeaning and patronizing to them - whoever they are - to present yourself as wiser and braver than they. If they have a problem, they should speak up, and I might consider amending my stance. If they remain silent, then I have to assume I’m not hurting anyone by posting like an adult on an adult site.
Keweenaw, I totally get what you’re saying, and I actually agree. I self-censor my thread titles (though there may have been one Pit one that merited an F-bomb, now that I think of it, but I’m not sure). I self-censor, as **Eureka **points out, out of a sense of responsibility to the community, not because it’s a rule. I do like the TV listing analogy, and it’s sort of how I think of it as well. But it just grates me the wrong way to make it a rule. Make it a social custom if you must, but I hate rules that try to fix what ain’t broken. If y’all seriously think you could get away with saying, “Gee, did this title have to have a swear in it?” in every thread with a curse in the title and raising some peer pressure in your favor, go for it. Personally, I think you should don a Haz-mat suit first, because I suspect you’ll get flamed for it. I could be wrong. Perhaps you’re not in the minority that I think you are. It’d be interesting to find out, that’s for sure. It’s worked for L33T speak and spelling.