Once again, I'm glad I got the hell outta Texas.

Texas isn’t even idivisible. Like all states, it can be divided into 2 or more states if the state and federal legislatures give the go ahead.

What, and deny ourselves the gnashing noises of all you* people with sticks up your asses? No way!
*If the stick fits…

I’m a native Texan. I absolutely love my state.
But my state legislature is full of idiotic religious assholes.

I suppose if I lived in Houston, it would drive me crazy too. “The climate of Calcutta and the attitude of Oakland”. Beats Odessa, anyway.

My brother lives there (in Austin). He’s a real nice guy. I just don’t get Texas-I don’t want to get Texas. But I see what you mean about the legislature–all states have their own versions.
(I also think the Duke missed my humor).

Austin is totally different. Doesn’t count. Once spent nine nights and three days in Austin, shit-eatin’ grin stuck with me for six months. Austin is the place to go to die, if death by boogie is your choice.

Nah, I’ve heard it all before. No big deal since every single person in Texas is identical. We all fit into every single stereotype, no exceptions whatsoever. That’s the deal with living in a big state, you don’t have to go very far to find someone who is absolutely identical to the next. We get it.

I don’t get the “attitude of Oakland” part. Oakland, CA? Couldn’t be…

And yeah, Austin is a whole 'nuther can of beans. Loved it. It loved me. It was one, long love fest.

I’ve been to Houston, too. Yeah, I’d say it’s as much “southern” as “Texan”.

Not surprising, since when Dubya was governor there he declared one day as “Jesus Day” in the state.

Ass, meet stick.

<sarcasm warning> yes, because that is just what I think in a nutshell about our second largest state(ooh, managed to cram another sore point in!) <sarcasm warning over> Lighten up, cowboy! (there’s another one! dayum). :smiley:
Luci–that’s what I’ve heard. Austin is an oasis in the midst of a ravaged desert. My brother loves it. Come to think of it, any Texan I know in RL is from Austin. Hmmmmm…

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAW

Dagnabit, I guess I don’t git no points causin’ I dint use none of them there <sarmacasmin warnins>

But thanks for playin’!

Fear not, for I shall assist yee.
Robots don’t say yee!
Relax mammal - my robotic software shall meet your calculating needs. What is the meaning of this symbol?
That’s a plus sign, you pointy-headed loon! Quit thinkin’ you’re a robot!
I’ll show yee…

White flag, blue canton with red cross. Sort of like the American flag with no red stripes and with a red cross instead of the stars.

I’m sure that there are any number of Christians that have never heard of it. Here’s the Wiki with a picture.

Nothin’ fer it but to go rustle up some grub… :wink:
(Ah thenk ah’ve ben out-sar-casuhmmed).

You’ve all missed the news about the new chair of the Texas state board of education?

All kidding aside–he wasn’t put there by God. People voted him in. God help us all.
:eek:

(doesn’t Texas control a great deal of the national school textbook market due to its huge student population? I seem to remember a problem with that a few years ago).

Prolly so, but it does get old. Just in the last few days there’s been posts about how we all drive with bull horns mounted on our hood, wear cowboy hats indoors at work, can’t drive if it snows, all pray to the Texas flag, have a primal need to secede, etc. Probably some posts about how we all carry six-shooters to church or something. My eyes have rolled over in their sockets so many times reading here that I can’t even tilt my head due to gyroscopic precession. I shit you not.

Man, I’ve tripped on acid on 6th street years before there even WAS a SWSX. A buddy of mine from high school used to manage the Grist Mill in Gruene (not technically Austin, but it’s a party at Gruene Hall). I did Austin before Austin was “cool”. And you know what? It’s all just Texas to me. I’ve partied in a lot of places in the state, and can -gasp- find cool people to hang with purt near everywhere. I’m sure there are absolutely no intolerant fundies where anybody else lives, we seem to have a corner on the market. At least that’s the stereotype, right?

At least luci escaped to the Land of 10,000 Flakes and LouisB made it to the Florida Freak Show. So everybody that’s left here is a by-God tobaccy spittin’ horn swaggler. People that have never set foot in Texas know more about living here than people that, you know, live here.

One thing for sure and for certain, your Texas hippy is a breed apart.

Yeah, me and my buddies were always considered “hippies”. We smoked dope, did drugs, had long hair, partied hard. Right along along with the “whackers”*.

*What we called the “cowboys”. They partied, too, just dressed different.
But I say too much. I don’t want to go poking holes in anybody’s preconceived notions or anything. Stereotypes being sacred and all.