Online music lessons?

Has anyone tried these online music lessons for say guitar? What did you think? Is it about the same as just using a book?

For guitar I’ve watched Marty Schwartz and Justin Sandercoe on Youtube and I think that they help more than a book. Youtube provides a good opportunity to view their finger technique which I think makes things a bit easier to pick up than from reading a book.

Your biggest problem with online guitar lessons is choosing the right one and sticking with it. It is very easy to get distracted by the guys who want to show you how to play some cool blues licks or the guys who want to show you how to play “Hallelujah”.

As far as which one is the “right” one (especially if you are a beginner), I cannot offer much guidance. I have heard good things about Justin Sandercoe, previously mentioned, though I have no experience with him (I learned in the 60’s). There is also much to said for getting a real teacher simply because it is easy to ask them questions and give you encouragement.

Better than learning from a book. Everyone and their mother will recommend Justin Sandercoe on YouTube, but for me Truefire was easily the best site. Check out their Sherpa classrooms. That’s the way to go.

JamPlay is ok.