Only letters are letters!

That’s right.

It’s “Micro$oft.”

Actually, I was just riffing on your British heritage. Not one person in a 100 in the U.S. would understand cwt, either. We use ozs., lbs., and tons (one N, no E) and are wholly baffled by gs, kgs, stones, cwt, and other “foreign” measurements.

(The first time I ever encountered cwt was in an article on the British Army (the Desert Rats, specifically), using American Chevy 15 cwt lorries, which confused the heck out of me until I figured out they were talking about Chevy 3/4 ton trucks.)

Even though Australia is almost completely metric in its usage, i know many Australians, even ones young enough to have grown up with the metric system, who still use stone as the unit of measure when referring to body weight. It’s very odd.

For those who haven’t worked it out, a stone is 14lbs.

Oppps. You should have given me a wink. I admitted I was part of the troublesome cross over generation [read CONFUSED]. :slight_smile:

If you told me that ‘squiggly-wiggly’ was the new weight, I would still be doing st’s and lb’s.

We still have Piggly Wiggly grocery stores here. Well, one.

Made of brick, I’d assume.

Except isn’t a hundredweight in the UK and Commonwealth 112 lbs, not 100 lbs?

That is certainly possible. As noted, it rarely appears among U.S. weights and measures in any event and I would not be surprised to discover that they have inflated their weights the way they have inflated their volumes. :wink:

On review, I find that the Brits do use the term “hundredweight” to mean “hundredtwelveweight.”

So I can ¥ 4 $ & ¢ @ this § of the ¶?

kidchameleon, € nut.

And Gaudere’s Law strikes again :smack:

This post has been Ironied by the Ironer!

I disagree that 13375p34k is totally without merit. I h4v3 b33n kn0wn to use 13375p34k on occasion, but I don’t f33l th47 i7’5 a r3f13c7i0n on my 1n73llig4nc3 wh3n I do.

Th3n 4g41n I 73nd t0 57ick wi7h l3773r 5u85717u710n and n07 c0mpl373 r35p3llin95. W3ll, 3xc3pt wh3n I c411 my m3dic4710n “3ff3xx0r.”

:smiley:

[del]I disagree that 13375p34k is totally without merit. I h4v3 b33n kn0wn to use 13375p34k on occasion, but I don’t f33l th47 i7’5 a r3f13c7i0n on my 1n73llig4nc3 wh3n I do.

Th3n 4g41n I 73nd t0 57ick wi7h l3773r 5u85717u710n and n07 c0mpl373 r35p3llin95. W3ll, 3xc3pt wh3n I c411 my m3dic4710n “3ff3xx0r.”

:D[/del]
I disagree that leetspeak is totally without merit. I have been known to use leetspeak on occasion, but I don’t feel that it’s a reflection on my intelligance when I do.

Then again I tend to stick with letter substitution and not complete respellings. Well, except when I call my medication “effexor.”

Also, I am the bigest idiot ever. :smiley:

::Randal, that’s not how it happend either!::

The English hundredweight is 112 lbs because that’s eight stone. Makes perfect sense. Plus there’s two different hundred weight: the English hundredweight of 112 lbs, and an American hundredweight of 100 lbs, also used in Canada. Obviously, here in North America we are limited by our mundane insistence on literalness, as opposed to the English tradition of whimsy. (And we won’t get into a discussion of long tons and short tons and metric tonnes…)

From Wikipedia:

So how come a stone is 14 lbs? That doesn’t divide evenly with anything. It’s not easy to divide anything by 14. If it were 10, it’d work fine. 12 even, since we have to work with eggs and clocks. 16 ounces is a pound. But 14? That’s just weird. 140 lbs is easy enough to figure out, but how about something like 783? Do English weight scales divide in 14 parts?

Is it because money already took “pounds” as a term and the English had to come up with some other word for weight? Hey I know, we used to pound the heretics, but before that we stoned them. I think pounding somebody 14 times equals stoning them once.

No, it’s because the English are, well, you know… English.

Sure, an odd unit of measurement (14 lb. stone) multiplied eight times (not ten in accord with the fingers on our hands or twelve to match hours or months, but eight that has no especial meaning in any other counting system) gives us a unit of measure that ignores the meaning of the word used and that makes “perfect sense.”

(The whimsy aspect I will buy.)

It’s to inflict a degree of mental discipline upon the populace. This is the attitude that won us an Empire, you know!

I prefer “Microsquish”, and I’m a Windows user.