Only ten timeouts today, Straight Dope! Well done!

At 3:56 EDT, US, there were

During the weekday hours of 9AM-6PM
, EDT, US time, there are usually 400-700 people online. The split between members and guests is usually about equal.

But isn’t the Chicago Reader’s stock value going to plummet now that you’ve let out this trade secret? heh.

From an application architecture perspective, that’s still in the same category when it comes to number of users. Applications, when built properly, usually aren’t scaled to varying hundreds of users.

That’s not very good performance, especially when we’re just talking about database READS, and with 400-700 people on-line, I can’t imagine there being any more than 100-150 READS happening simultaneously (your number I’m sure is a report of how many existing TCP connections are your web server and is not indicative any actual activity).

I would estimate that my actual number of 15-20 WRITES happening at a given point in time is pretty accurate.

A question: If the database contains to many rows to perform well, why not archive into a different database?

Johnny, you’re obvuiously not happy here, what with all the moderator kiss-assery, and timeouts and whatever else you might have complained about that I missed. Why not just write off the $14.95 and walk away?

I’ve been trying to post to this thread for 10 hours but the site timed out!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Me neither. Back before it went paid, I remember when it timed out. But that was quite a while ago. I’ve been lurking in the last couple of years and recently decided to pay for membership, and it seems faster than ever.

Same. I mean, it still occasionally lags or times out, but not particularly often. Certainly not as bad as Livejournal, or a couple other (much smaller) boards I’m on.

It times out on me quite a bit, even with my nice fast computer, but it’s not like I can’t find other ways to amuse myself if the board is slow or down.

Hopefully, you’re being facetious. ?

In all honesty, I am surprised when I see members say that this site doesn’t time out for them. Living in Boston, with a very good internet connection at work and home this site does have times when it pitches a fit and refuses to load. And mind you, when I’m on this site at work it means I’m logged on during 11PM-7AM EDT, so there probably isn’t as many people logged on.

Even still, I just renewed. Just one of those things I’ve got to live with.

ETA: On edit Sam, yes, sorry for the confusion. When in doubt, assume snarky sarcasm.

Well, that’s all well and good, for an architect. I would suspect, although I’m a pretty technology impaired guy, that message board software ain’t got nothing to do with architecture.

And, I’ll add, as a member here, that the Board has been rather unpredictable(to be polite) the last three days. :slight_smile:

There definitely was a problem at some point. I’m not in the know, but it seems to have been corrected at this point.

And, yes, it’s maddening to me as a poster/reader, never mind as a Mod. I hope it gets fixed forever, sometime. I DO have faith that it will. But Mods/Admins have NO power over this.

Can we still hurl stones at you?

:smiley:

Like telling you “No” would make a difference?

201,000 Google Hits for “applications architecture.”

(Actually, the stones aren’t that bad, but the brickbats have those jagged edges that sometimes break off in the wound, and, of course, they get brick dust all over our shirts.)

Some people just can’t take a hint.

At the risk of being off-topic (since this is the Pit after all, and not GQ), how do you do that? For those of us who may have average tech-savvy or none at all?

Yeah? 643,000 Google Hits for “irregardless”.

Seriously though, you should look at the thread I linked earlier.

Don’t forget the secret orgies for the exclusive benefit of the charter members.

The cost of pie alone runs into six figures.