Only ten timeouts today, Straight Dope! Well done!

Just think of time-outs as lulls in the conversation and you’ll be fine.

Like this. See, everything’s fine.

You gotta multi-task maaan! Or if you’re not up for that, take a nap (somehow I think that’s what little Johnny needs).

I don’t actually know :frowning:

I think a GQ question would sort you out though.

You could be right; I had the $10 figure in my head, based on not much of anything at all. Let me go look it up - yeah, you’re right. Look at that - all this for less than the price of a good dinner. Oh, I know why - when I first started paying, it was about $10 CAD with the exchange rate. That’s my story, any way.

kunilou, what part of “secret” in “secret orgies” are you not understanding? See if YOU get pie at the next one. :mad:

Ha! I had my first timeout on the board in a long time while trying to post to this thread!!! Conclusion, it must be Johnny’s fault.

Well, I see your stupid cuntdom never ends. Myself, when I pay for something, I want it to work. What a douchebag I am. I hope the paramedics I hire to save me from my heart attack don’t get the message to send someone because of bandwith issues ten times a day.

This website needs to be class action sued. Long and fuckin hard. Because that’s the only way you’ll get better service.

No, it would just be shut down if you did that. You’re taking this, and possibly yourself, way too seriously.

I’ll second that.

I’ve been getting maybe one time-out a day. It could be worse, but it doesn’t seem to be any better since we went to pay-to-play. I know, just because we pay now doesn’t give us the right to violate rules, and if we don’t like them we can avoid letting the door hit us in the ass, etc., but this is purely an infrastructure issue that should be improved. I don’t suppose we’re entitled to a chart that shows where the subscription money goes, are we?

Democracy on the March…! :wink:

Johnny boy, you won’t find a lawyer willing to take on a class action based on a few pennies. You would do much better for yourself by simply taking an anger management course.

Johnny, are you serious about suing, or are you just trying to stir up a fuss?

No, that would be the way to get the board shut down. You really think the Reader’s going to keep bothering if they end up having to deal with the expense and hassle of a lawsuit?

Looking beyond the obvious hyperbole in the OP and taking into account the inevitable Doper snarky/jokey/sarcstic responses, why does that fact that really frequent timeouts (plus 2 very recent temporary shut downs of the boards) happen to some posters (me, included in a variety of settings/configurations) but not to everyone warrant responses of “why don’t you just leave then”?

That makes no sense.

5-4-Fighting, I don’t quite understand your phrasing. Are you asking if there is a serious and fixable technical issue here that makes the board time out for some people but not others? I honestly don’t think there is; I’ve posted here for seven years, on various computers (including Macs and PCs), and there have always been occasional lag times. I think the explanations of peak usage times explains most of it. I would be curious to know where our money for subscriptions goes, but the bottom line always is, no one forces anyone to pay money and keep coming back here. Like any other service in a capitalist world, you can vote with your feet and not pay to play here. Many, many long-time, valuable posters did exactly that when we went pay-to-play here, and it was a sad day.

There is a very great difference between expressing concern about the board being excessively slow, and calling the PTB cunts and calling for a lawsuit.

I think that you will find that the folks who would wish that Johnny stop posting hold that desire due to his abusive rantings, rather than any desire to quash discussions of the boards being slow.

No, I’m saying that, in response to the OP, some are saying they never or almost never timeout, and it seems that because that is not their experience, the OP should just leave.

Like I’ve said, I spend time on the Dope at lots of different times a day on different computers with different configurations. The fact that different posters have different experiences, doesn’t mean that there “is a serious and fixable technical issue here that makes the board time out for some people but not others” but probably means that some are in a position to observe those technical issues more often and over a wider range of experiences.

Whether there is a consensus of experience or not doesn’t mean the complainer simply needs to leave.

If there is another issue with the OP, perhaps that should be pitted on its own merits.

Seriously. If some Reader lawyer sees this thread, he may suggest doing just that.

Admins: ban this fucker, and erase all his posts. Make it like he never existed. Nuke him from orbit. You know why.

I do not think we are reading the same thread. People are bashing Johnny because he’s a hysterical babbling moron who is threatening lawsuits, not because he’s complaining about the time-outs.

It’s hyperbole, for humourous effect. I doubt the guy’s serious, just perhaps pissed off that, despite paying a subscription fee, the board’s performance is still pretty bad.

I don’t think it explains my problems. Days at a time I’ll have timeouts, then it will go back to normal. As I said, the last three or four days have been painfully slow.