Oozing Giant Gelatenous Mass Found Off Chile Is Said To Be...

EWWWWW Chunky whale snot. Hmmm SARS had to come from somewhere, I’m avoiding fishing boats and divers til whale snot has been ruled out.

I sure hope it snows in Chile.

Hmmm…Has anyone seen my ex-wife lately?

I’m hoping it’s the other Kraken.

The mesonyteuthis is big enough for the Kraken of legend and it’s supposed to be hostile.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this specimen is part of a species of the other kind of Kraken, the one Harryhausen invented for Clash Of The Titans.

It seems like every year, they discover something more bizarre in the ocean depths.

It’s a great time to be alive.

Or a bloody terrifying time, for those of us who aren’t too keen on giant razor tentacled squid and 40 foot wide blob things.

Maybe it’s Nidaria Rex.

(And, no, I didn’t misspell it. There is no “C.”)

Maybe its a large Shoggoth that washed up from Antartica.

Keep you whale booger to yourself.

Heres a link to the BBC story on it, it has a picture from another perspective. Looks very flat from this angle, more like a giant jellyfish than a squid, but I’m not ruling out a Shoggoth yet :).

Is this gonna be just another shaggy-Shoggoth story?

huh. am i really the only one who, when they read:

started thinking that they really ought to check out that whale (and possibly the contents of its stomach)? my vote is for the Ultimate Marine Battle, which ended in a technical (tentacle?) draw when both combatants died.

i’ll give ya yer Clash of the Titans.

Nice.

I know! I know!

It’s a WMD! I knew we’d find one somewhere.

Whale miscarriage?

It was actually Mr. Jenkins, the old family gardener, in a mask. You see, he was trying to scare the few remaining beach-goers away so that he could dig up Redbeard’s long lost treasure in solitude.

And he would’ve gotten away with it, if not for those meddling kids!

Bruce_Daddy, I was gonna quote that exact sentence. Who in their right mind can recognise whale skin by smell?!?!

I think it looks kind of like an octopus. In the picture from the OP, you can see a tentacle-like thing that looks like it might have suction cups all along it.

I told her not to open that Evil Cooler.

Uh, dropzone can.

Perhaps you are using the “right mind” technicality to exclude him/her? :stuck_out_tongue: Things rotting on the beach do tend to give off distinct odors.

Mutant lemming.

You must be a blast at beach parties :wink:

Instead of football or volleyball, we’re going to play Name that Hunk of Rotting Flesh. Who wants to go first?

Actually, that is kinda neat.