Order of the Stick book 7 discussion thread

Not all that recent. 29-09-2018.

#1205 - A Higher Calling Calling

Already posted

Didn’t see that at all.

Stoopid new site with new organization…

(mutter mutter)

You and me both. This site has some interesting new features, but boy is it a pain to use or compose with on a tablet.

I guess Burlew’s on the every other week plan. Oh well. Did anyone else think Redcloak’s dialogue was a little stilted and off in the later frames of this strip?

Glad to see RC didn’t just blast the bugbear to pieces to get some privacy. I’m eager to read how this negotiation will proceed.

Bugbears are goblinoids so the New Kinder & Gentler (to other goblin species) Redcloak wouldn’t do such a thing.

Define “evil”? The Dark One is the protector of goblinoids. Not trusting the gods of races that pretty much kill goblins on sight isn’t necessarily evil. I know there is the whole D&D alignment thing going on (which I don’t remember particularly), but even there, evil doesn’t = lying right? Isn’t that more of a lawful/chaotic split? Do we know where TDO lies on that axis?

He might if he thought it was the only way to keep that bugbear from possibly blabbing to Xykon.

I like how Burlew got the bugbear out of the scene instead though. Especially if RC needs that bugbear for another Chekhov’s Scroll later on.

To be clear, I don’t actually think that The Dark One is substantively lying. I think that he’s basically telling the truth. I’m just acknowledging that we don’t have any particular reason for considering him to be trustworthy.

In Start of Darkness, Redcloak embodied the sunk cost fallacy. But the events in that tome occurred decades ago and Redcloak has spent a lot of time in his study since then. The problem is that Xykon has undergone very little personal growth and he could walk in at any time.

Oooh, plot advancement!

(Also, I hate that this board moves you to a link, instead of opening an instance on a new page. Any suggestions of how to make it do that.)

That is annoying. Right-click, ‘Open in New Tab’? Maybe it’s something in Settings that can be changed?

I guess that even as a cleric or High Priest of a God, you don’t actually see your god in Stickworld unless you die. Which led one of the GITP forum dwellers to wonder if RC was going to intentionally get himself killed in the next dungeon crawl, so as to be able to talk with The Dark One more directly. Commune would work too, I guess.

The discussion is going much more smoothly than I would have thought.

It’s in the settings under Preferences>>> Interface.

Thanks!

Preferences>>>Interface is also what Redcloak used to establish the stone seat height before negotiations.

Yeah, nice bit of dick-measuring there between the high-level clerics.

I got us set up.

No, it’s not right and I’LL perfect it.

It makes me suspicious. I feel that both sides have concealed plans.

I don’t feel Redcloak would turn reasonable this quickly, I feel he’s just acting reasonable to distract Durkon while some ambush is set up. Perhaps via the bugbear who was sent off. In the last strip, Redcloak said he was expecting some emissary from the other gods to appear at some point so he would have been making plans for it.

And I feel that when Redcloak’s ambush is revealed, Durkon will reveal his own countermove. We still haven’t seen Minrah. And Durkon insisted on them talking outdoors in the location he appeared at.

After both sides have revealed their secret plans and achieved a standoff, perhaps they will start a real negotiation.

I wouldn’t doubt that Redcloak won’t just wave goodbye to Durkon as he leaves but, right now, Durkon is providing valuable information. Redcloak wasn’t sure yet if the other gods were aware of The Plan and is just now learning about the aura thing. Being reasonable and noncombative is paying dividends.

The spells used to shape the meeting place also serve to show that both sides are serious about the discussion. Redcloak wasn’t willing to waste spell slots on some random dwarf, but he is willing to waste them for a discussion with Thor’s representative.