Organ Surprise or Another Misheard Lyrics Thread!

When I first heard Annie Lennox sing “No More I Love Yous,” I thought she was doing a bad Brooklynese accent, as in “No More I Love Youse.”

I even sang it that way, until I saw the CD. Sheesh.

Back in the mid 70’s, Elton John had a hit that was playing on the top 40 stations. Standard AM fare back in the day. Each time this EJ song came on while we were driving around, my friend Darrell would frantically spin the dial to another channel. I asked him one day why he hated that song so much.

“Because he’s singing I’m a girl!!! That creeps me out, dude!”

The title of EJ’s song was Island Girl. It was never one of my particular favorites, either.

Machine Head by Bush goes.

“Got a machine head, better than the rest”

My version,

“Got a mushy head…”

My sister was convinced that John Mayer was singing “Butterflies” instead of “3 X 5’s”.
The song’s title is even “3 X 5” and the whole song is about taking photographs.
I made fun of her for days after hearing her sing it at the top of her lungs in the car one day.
She did find it a bit odd that he was singing about photographing butterflies.
What’s even funnier is that she owns the CD and never bothered to look at the names of the songs.

Siemsi: Billy Squier’s good for that. A guy I once knew was convinced that the tune My Kinda Lover was, in fact, My Candelabra.

“Why the hell would he think of someone as his lighting fixture?” never got me a satisfactory response.

I also recall someone singing the line “living in the fish-eye lens” from the Rush tune was “living in the fish islands” although I suppose that one’s not that much of a stretch.

I won’t get into my dad’s hearing problems with Whitesnake’s Ain’t No Love (in the Heart of the City), years ago. He hates it when I bring this up.

[sub]“That’s disgusting! Why the hell is he singing about buggering someone?”[/sub]

Sing it with me folks:

Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours a da-a-ay,
I want a piece o’ date bread.

I’ve posted this before, and it still amuses me.

Louis Armstrong, What a Wonderful World:

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

For years, I saw/heard it as:

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dogs say good night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

:insert spit take here:

When I listen to Bob Dylan’s From a Buick 6,

“Well, she don’t make me nervous, she don’t talk too much
She walks like Bo Diddley and she don’t need no crutch
She keeps this four-ten all loaded with lead”

becomes

“She keeps his foreskin all loaded with lead”

One of my old school friends used to sing the chorus to Cold Chisel’s Cheap Wine as

Got my sheep wine and a 3 legged goat…

instead of

Got my cheap wine and a 3 day growth

even now, I still prefer to sing it her way when I hear it on the radio!

The Christian hymn “Gloria in Excelsis (spelling?) Deo” always kind of sounded like “in eggshells” to me. Leading to the question of who is Gloria and why is she in eggshells?

From the Luna song “California All The Way” I heard:

Why has my sympathy now turned to mellons

it should be

now turned to malice.
It never even occurred to me that I might be wrong.

Red Hot Chili Peppers “Scar Tissue”

“With the birds I share this lonely view”

sounds to me like “With the birds that shed, it’s a lonely view.” Hey, dude. Lose the molting fowl and you’ll have more friends.

Whatever happened to kissthisguy.com? I can’t find it anymore.

I also thought U2’s “Electrical Storm” was “electric coaster” as in roller coaster. I couldn’t figure out what the big deal was with it being electric.

I’ve always sung “Open Arms” by Journey as:
“So now I come to you…
With broken arms!”

Once it gets stuck in your head, it’s hard to think of it any other way.

3rd Eye Blind has a song with a lyric that goes “Everyone’s got to face down their demons”. My friend heard

Everyone’s got toothpaste on their demons.

Shania Twain has a song with a lyric that goes “I can’t believe you’d kiss your car goodnight.” We all heard

I can’t believe you’d kiss your carving knife.
Also, ditto on the Machine Head/Mushy Head lyric.

A good friend of mine would sing

“wise men say, only fools drive machines”

instead of “fools rush in” and he wouldn’t believe us that he was wrong until we found someone with the lyrics printed in the album notes to prove it to him.

In Sandra Boynton’s book and CD Grunt! she writes this line as *Gloria in eggshells each day-o[/]. If you saw the book, you’d know why.

I know it’s not the real lyric, but every time I hear Kenny Rogers and Doly Parton singing Islands in the Stream/That is what we are…, I think :
**Island Industries

That is what we are…**

Maybe they should start up a resort chain.

I had trouble with:

“Teenage waistbands. We’re all waisted!”

Actually, in one of the versions of the song he does refer to an elf -

I believe it’s in the album version, that changed ‘raping lesbians’ to ‘running over pedestrians’ and ‘my teacher wanted to fuck me’ to ‘my teacher wanted to flunk me’. He was told to remove the anti-homosexual parts by one of the artists he sampled in the song. There is also a radio version that’s even more cleaned up.

I misquoted parts of the bootleg version of ‘My name is’. In the first version he said he felt like someone else, in the album version and the radio edit he’s a caged elf instead. Weird, eh?

Here’s the lyrics to the version that you hardly ever hear anymore…

http://www.tuttotesti.com/eminem/nat.shtm#8