Origin of quote, "I said GOOD DAY, sir!"

here’s a clip from WW&tCF

a little more than halfway down the page to WW&tCF; the clip is the 5th one down.

Bo

" I said-I said" … Foghorn Leghorn ?

does anyone have a copy of The hobbit to hand? Bilbo said something similar to Gandalf in chapter one IIRC.

Probably everyone reading this has a copy of The Hobbit on hand. :smiley:

But Gandalf is not so easily dismissed, and after another page worth of verbal sparring:

Which is all rather more cordial than the frosty “Good day sir!” of the OP.

While I agree with everyone who notes that the phrase has a long and storied history as a brush-off, it’s popularity as a catch-phrase in the last few years – with the particular emphasis noted in the OP – is certainly the result of more recent use. I believe the repopularization is from Fez on That 70’s Show, although Homer Simpson may have had something to do with it.

–Cliffy

Tootsie is one of my top five favorite movies, and I want to say that she was kicking him out of her office. Either that or they weren’t in anybody’s office. The line wasn’t shown during the actual soap; it was part of her audition.

Also delivered by the Terri Garr character as part of her (unsuccessful) audition.

“Did you feel how much I hated you?”

Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie is the best single performance ever delivered by an actor.

Regards,
Shodan

It is also from the movie “Tootsie” with Dustin Hoffman. Dustin secretly protrays a woman to get a job as an actress on a soap opera. On the soap he plays a hospital administrator and took the liberty of changing his character’s script when speaking to the womanizing doctor. Instead of being forced to kiss a man, he tells the doctor, “good day…”

I thought I scrolled down far enough. This is the only site that actually references Tootsie! So good for us!

Huh?

“Good day” is the British equivalent of “Good bye” (during the day, of course).

Saying “Good day” was the polite equivalent of ending a conversation and saying “That’s it. We’re finished. Now go away.” If the other person persisted in carrying on the conversation, the offended party says the equivalent of “I already said ‘Bub-bye’ now get lost.”

In Scrooge’s case, he just repeats “Good afternoon”. Some people are less patient and say “I’ve already said ( good bye / good day / good afternoon / you can go now / that’s it end of story / go away!).”

I’m not sure it was ever originally anyone’s signature line. It was just common usage… how to politely tell the other party to fuck off. The fact that you then told them you’d already told them so merely emphasized that you thought that they were wasting your time and being irritating, and did not want further discussion. The polite and considerate understood the brush-off, the persistent and irritating were ignoring it and had to be told twice. (or more)

I suppose if used in North America, there is the added element of pretentiousness or snobbery by using a British upper-class politeness.

Foghorn Leghorn is mostly based on Senator Claghorn on the Fred Allen Show, so it’s not likely to be related.

And we did it almost seven years ago!

Then that’s it then. No more replies to this thread please.

Autolycus: …and good day, sirs.

Mahaloth: Well, there was this one movie…

Autolycus: I said GOOD DAY, sirs!

The End.

This has got to be it. The OP is basically asking who was the person to first more sternly repeat a farewell after their conversation partner wouldn’t leave. I’m sure humans have been doing this for as long as we’ve known how to talk.

Point of order, please. Can someone “Good Day, Sir” a conversation they didn’t start? Seems like that’d be more appropriately done with a Irish Paddy accent, “Moooove along now, nuthin’ ta see here…”

I swear I remember Bobby Hill on King of the Hill saying this. Arms crossed, all ticked off, “I say good day to you, sir!”

The John Cleese character in the classic Python “Argument Clinic” sketch also uses “Good morning” as a brushoff. See here, starting at 2:35: - YouTube

I saw this in Washington, DC last week.

I wonder what it means?

In Secret of My Success, Helen Slater as the stiff executive uses “Good morning” to brush off Michael J. Fox.

I seem to recall Alistar Sim delivers this line in Scrooge. (When the 2 guys are trolling for funds for the orphans and such) Way pre-dates Wonka. I’m not 100% sure, however.