Original cock-and-bull story?

Recently there was a thread about what was the original shaggy dog story. Now I’m wondering the same thing about a cock-and-bull story. This term is used to describe an elaborate, possible but implausible story, usually told as an excuse. “He was an hour late and gave me some cock-and-bull story about. . . .”

“The Sun Also Rises” was the first cock-and-bull story. :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael Jackson - no, not THAT Michael Jackson - wrote in a book (I think it was just called “Beer”, it was a paperback that was shaped like a mug of beer) that The Cock and The Bull were two pubs north of London. Back in “the day”, taverns and pubs were places where people exchanged information and news. Because The Cock and The Bull were across the street from each other, they would complete for traveler’s business with the best “news”. Apparently the one-upsmanship got to be so bad that you couldn’t trust the news from EITHER source. Thus, a “cock and bull” story.

I don’t know if it’s true or not.

The Michael Jackson that writes about beer IS “that” Michael Jackson IMHO. :smiley: That baby-dangler is just some guy with the same name.

Actually, considering Jake’s problem, it’s a no-cock and bull story.

The Word Detective gives an alternate theory:

I recall reading that the phrase goes back to a specific beastiary that told some long and involved tales about both cocks and bulls, but I haven’t been able to track it down.