Oscar presenters to receive $20,000 in gifts

Even if they DO spend $20K on gifts, look at the big picture: It’s not as if they take 20,000 one-dollar bills, burn them to ashes, and poof the gifts appear. That money is spent. It goes into the pockets of the people/companies who make/sell the gifts. Then those people go out and spend it on other stuff. Then the people who sell them the other stuff go out and spend it again. Etc. This is called an “economy.”

Not all of them. I’d imagine that Keisha Castle-Hughes, Djimon Hounsou, Ken Watenabe, Samantha Morton, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Patricia Clarkson, Fernando Meirelles, Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini, Braulio Mantovani, Steven Knight, Kirsten Sheridan, Naomi Sheridan, Cesar Charlone, Mathieu Chedid and…well, let’s just say most if not all of the Foreign Language, Documentary and Short Subject nominees are going to be delighted with their gift baskets.

No, those companies donate the gifts to the basket for free. Now lets take the HP digital camera. If they give away 100 of these items they make up difference by upping the price to the public by, (WAG) 2 bucks.
Anyway the producer of the Oscar telecast gets the various presenters. I’m sure that the large talent agencies (like CAA) negotiate for groups of clients. You want Tom Hanks? Fine you need to in so and so. Plus, if you watch the telecast with an upcoming release schedual you may notice that the stars of some upcoming film are there together. And if things go smoothly most of the major studios get a little shot like this.

As for the baskets I’m sure the telecast has a couple of people who’s main responsibilty is to get a good basket for this year’s presenters and it better be better than last year’s basket or HEADS WILL ROLL.

Hence the increase in plastic surgery from another of her “pairs”. :smiley: