Oscar winners: Lauren Bacall, Roger Corman, Gordon Willis

Video from last weekend’s ceremony. (also honoring Thalberg winner John Calley). :cool: :slight_smile:

I’m sure we’ll see tiny snippets for the nationwide broadcast next spring (though all 3 legends in attendance deserve better). :frowning:

I have not watched the video, but I would like to know why these were not honored during the regular Oscar broadcast? It just doesn’t count, you know?

Gordon Willis should have gotten special attention for Manhattan alone. I was so stunned by the beauty of that film that I sat through it a second time without ever leaving my seat. He is just the Top!

I think they’re trying to shave minutes off the main ceremony’s running time, and given that each Honorary tribute lasts at least 15 minutes (between the intro, the clip montage, the acceptance speech, and the commercial bumpers), I guess they thought it would streamline things next spring. Keep in mind, also, that with 10 Best Picture nominees now, they may be worried about that adding to the length already, and so were looking for other ways to cut back.

All well and good, I suppose, but in trying to lure in a wider demographic (w/the additional nominees, some of which they’re hoping are commercial successes), they’re giving the shaft to all the true movie buffs out there who appreciate who Bacall, Willis, & Corman are and want to see them get their due in front of an audience of millions.

Still, the videos are fun, with the highlight being Anjelica Huston’s moving tribute to Bacall. The African Queen telegram was a story I hadn’t heard before, and a very sweet and touching one. I know that there must be clip montages of their work, however, and those aren’t posted on the site…yet ( :fingers crossed: )

The great (and also overdue) cinematographer Caleb Deschanel explains, in his toast, part of why Willis was ignored by the Academy. Part of it was that his look was so unconventional and counter to traditional shooting protocols that the old schoolers didn’t get it; but in addition to being ahead-of-his-time, he was also entrenched in the NY scene, so wasn’t seen as an insider to the Hollywood establishment. Despite both Godfathers, Annie Hall & Manhattan, All the President’s Men and Pennies from Heaven (which earned a combined 39 nominations and 17 Oscars), his first nomination wasn’t until Zelig, a well-deserved and innovative choice, but also a decade too late.