OT Prophecy

Hi,

I have a few questions for the Christians on this message board. It concerns what was supposedly fulfilled by Jesus.

Matthew 4:12-16 reads: "When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he returned to Galilee. Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali-- to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah:

'Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, 
   the way to the sea, along the Jordan, 
   Galilee of the Gentiles-- 
the people living in darkness 
   have seen a great light; 

on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.’"

Matthew is supposedly quoting Isaiah 9:1-2, which reads:

"Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were
indistress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the
land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the
Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan-

The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned."

Did Matthew take Isaiah 9:1-2 out of context and misquote it? It appears that he did. How do you (Christians) reconcile this?

Thank you,

Richard

I think that I should have posted this in the Great Debates forum.
I’m sorry.
Richardc

Or how about this one:

In Ezekiel 26, God declares (in quite certain terms) about Tyre: “I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken, declares the Sovereign LORD.”

Yet, lookee here!!

Off to Great Debates.

DrMatrix - General Questions Moderator

Hi,

I posted this late at night, and 'twas shuffled down the list rather quickly. I’m afraid no one really saw it. I am looking for an answer, so I’m going to give this thread one bump, and if no one answers this time, I will let it go. I hope no one minds. This question has really been bugging me lately.

Thank you,

Richard

Tyre consisted of two distinct parts, a rocky fortress on the mainland, called “Old Tyre,” and the city, built on a small, rocky island about half-a-mile distant from the shore. It was a place of great strength. It was besieged by Shalmaneser, who was assisted by the Phoenicians of the mainland, for five years, and by Nebuchadnezzar (B.C. 586-573) for thirteen years, apparently without success. It afterwards fell under the power of Alexander the Great, after a siege of seven months, but continued to maintain much of its commercial importance till the Christian era. It is referred to in Matt. 11:21 and Acts 12:20. In A.D. 1291 it was taken by the Saracens, and has remained a desolate ruin ever since

source: http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/tyre.html

and from: http://www.trustthebible.com/prophecy.htm

For many years visitors could pass by where daughter
Tyre used to be, and view the nets of fishermen. Today, there is a new,
and very inferior daughter Tyre, in Lebanon, of about 14,000 people.
It is my understanding, Tyre, the mother city remains vacant and destroyed.

I haven’t the time right now to do further research, but as far as I know, Mother Tyre (the island) is till desolate.

However if you are correct, I admit that certainly does seem to be a problem because the Bible specifically says if someone states a prophecy from God and it turns out to be false, then that person would be a false prophet. In this case that would be God himself.