Our 23andme.com preliminary results are in

About a year ago, I bought my husband and I 23andme genetic/ancestry kits and didn’t use them right away. Shortly after, the FDA shut them down for genetic testing, which is why we purchased it, so we never got around to using it. About two months ago, the genetic testing side of the kit was approved in Canada, so we sent our kits in.

Today we got our preliminary results, and I have to say we’re impressed. The most interesting of the results was that they identified my husband as being high risk for Celiac - he was diagnosed last year. He’s also at high risk for thrombophilia. I am high risk for hemophilia, which runs in my family. Everything else is typical risk, including Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and some breast and ovarian cancers. We both know this is not a comprehensive genetic test, but still very interesting nonetheless.

The ancestry results are still underway, but apparently my husband is a distant relative to Jesse James on his mothers side.

I gave one of these to these kits to my dad last year. Not only did the results take two months longer than promised, but the ancestry data was so vague as to be completely useless. He’s half Armenian, which they failed to note at all. The other half is German (they said Scandinavian) and possibly English or French (unclassified European or African).

Sorry, I have to nitpick this description. The FDA told them to stop making claims about predicting susceptibility to diseases from DNA information (I think this is what you meant, but it might not be clear to everyone; 23andme is still doing DNA sequencing). Genetic testing for ancestry background is not and never was a problem.

I had this done last year, and found out that my immigrant great-grandfather from Germany was of Ashkenazi stock, and therefore almost certain of Jewish ancestry, if not a practicing Jew himself. Other than that, no surprises. I also got in under the wire so I can see my genetic predispositions, disease-wise. Fortunately, no surprises there either.

Are you sure you are looking at the most detailed level? There are three (or maybe more in some cases) concentric rings. Click on the outermost ring and it opens a new ring with more detail. Or you can click on the list on the right, and if there is more detail under any of those categories, it will show it.

But even at the most detailed level there is a lot of “Broad European” sort of thing. I’m not sure why this is the case. Maybe it’s because they need more samples to get more specific; or that people moved around a lot in the continent; or something else.

He may have been half Armenian but the ancestry data supposedly is where they were from thousands of years ago - not hundreds.