Our Fantastic Day, or The Bride is a Klutz

Okay, so I got married yesterday. We had an amazing, wonderful wedding, and I’m now married to a wonderful, amazing guy. It was the wedding of my dreams, and aside from a couple of issues, we were completely thrilled with everything.

Well, except for one thing. I, the bride, and my cute, adorable hubby were going to get a piece of our wedding cake. Our wedding was held at a garden in a historic house in Richmond, Virginia. The biggest downfall? Lots of steps in odd places.

Earlier in the day, my grandma fell in one of those odd places. So we all tried to be extra careful.

So, we were trying to get that piece of elusive cake and we made our way up the stairs. Apparently, I misjudged the last step.

I felt like a Benny Hill sketch. All of a sudden, I went flying across the portico, my dress billowing up behind me. I went sailing through the air and tumbled onto the marble of the portico. I landed hard on my wrists, and couldn’t really move, thanks to my corset and dress. Family and friends came running to check out my condition. I felt fine, except for a sore wrist. So, my aunt the nurse got an ice pack, wrapped it around my wrist with paper towels, then stole my grandmother’s wrist corsage to hold it in place.

But I danced the rest of the night away, and only stopped to have my cake, which my very sweet new husband brought to me. A carriage ride around the city ended our perfect night, and we headed up to our hotel suite to have a little wedding night fun.

So now I have my wrist in a splint, and typing is a little painful. But I’ll live. (And yes, I’m typing from our honeymoon - we’re both exhausted and just relaxing in our room tonight).

I’m hoping my videographer got the fall on tape so that I can submit it to America’s Funniest Home Videos. If anything, it’s a funny story for the kids and grandkids:D.

Ava

Sounds like a wonderful wedding, other than the falling. I love the thought of the carriage ride. Glad you and your grandmother are both alright after the falls!

avabeth, welcome to the ranks of the married folks! I’m glad you had a wonderful day (except for the fall).

May you have many wonderful years of marriage ahead of you.

Congratulations. I’m glad your wedding went so smoothly.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something black and blue.

Congrats on your wedding!!

Look, I know it’s a cliche, but you owe me a new keyboard for that one!
avabeth, posting on your honeymoon gets you almost as many Doper points as the pregnant Dopers who have posted while in labor. Congrats!

So, did like people get to see your bottom?
Do not even think of responding till the honeymoon is over.

Congratulations Ava!

Best wishes to you, and congrats to Mr. avabeth!

twicks, a stickler for ettiquette

Sorry to hear of your fall.

Congratulations on your wedding. Wishing you both luck and joy in your new life together.

So, you really fell for him!

I think they did, actually. My dress was huge, and the skirt just went flying over my head.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I thought I’d post an update. After a trip to the ER on Saturday and the orthopedist yesterday, it’s been determined that I broke a bone in my hand. So now I’m in a bright pink cast.

On the bright side, married life is damn cool:). I’m happier than I’ve ever been, so who cares about a little broken hand?

Ava

Glad your enjoying married life!

Oh, and if we’re swapping wedding stories, my cousin got married a few weeks ago. The bride was half an hour late to the church. Why? Because her limo got pulled over by the police. :slight_smile:

It’s ok that your hand is broken. You’ve got a husband to do all the work. :slight_smile:

That’s what my mom said :smiley: .

Actually, I really can’t do dishes because i can’t get my cast wet. He usually does them when I cook (and I always cook because I’m better at it), but now I can’t even do the ones I usually do while I’m cooking. So it’s going to be a heavier workload for him. He’s going to have to help with dinner, too - if I left it up to him,we’d have hot dogs or frozen meals every night, so i’ll still have to cook dinner as much as possible. I don’t mind that, though - i like to cook.

He did take me out to dinner last night since I was in the cast for the first day. And he told me I could dictate emails to him if my hand got too sore to type:D. I love my hubby - he’s a good one.

Ava