Padilla decision: U.S. citizen can be held without charge as "enemy combatant"

How so? Why can’t a Clinton apointee be a right-wing activist? Clinton was no liberal (I would argue that he was scarcely any less conservative than the first George Bush). More importantly, the ruling speaks for itself. It is unquestionably activist in that it ignores the text of the Constitution and hides behind a fabricated “war” to justify itself. You might try to argue that the decision is not ideologically conservative but I doubt you’d find many takers for that.

Does anyone have a link to the actual ruling? As much as this ruling does disturb me, I think it’s important to actually read it before decaring it to be “right wing judicial activism”. In particular, how did the panel square their ruling with Hamdi?

Benedict Arnold was born in Norwich, Connecticut.

The fact that two of the judges were appointed by Clinton is irrelevant. I’d be very worried if any of the three were being considered for the Supreme Court. Since one is, I’ll feel free to worry about him.

Let me try this again. Comparing (not contrasting) Padilla to Arnold would make Padilla’s case more distasteful to most Americans. Since most Americans are familiar with Benedict Arnold’s traitorous activity, linking the two and making Padilla the new Arnold would probably garner quite a bit of support for Bush in persuing the case by whatever mean necessary. If you went up to average American and asked “Should a traitor be allowed the writ of habeas corpus during wartime?” (Yes I know its a loaded question but I’m trying to phase it according to Bush’s presume spin.") most Americans would say “$*@% no!!!”

A few bits of judge counting trivia, as I review the cases:

1. The plurality opinion in *Hamdi *was joined by four justices, two of whom will not be around to review this case. Scalia and Stevens dissented, suggesting that

Of course, even if Bush appoints two justices who agree with Scalia, that only yields four. So it might not change the result.
2. In Hamdi, Luttig dissented from a denial of rehearing en banc (pdf, p. 41) saying:

He also laid into Judge Traxler in a four page diatribe. (pp. 51-55). But he ultimately hinted that he would probably adopt a position deferential to the Executive (pp. 56-58), as Thomas did in his *Hamdi *dissent. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=000&invol=03-6696#dissent2

All of this is, of course, trivia. I’ll be back when I have finished reviewing the cases and stuff.

Well, the Constitution says lots of things, doesn’t it? One of the things it does is give broad powers of warfighting to the executive.

The Supreme Court recognized this power in ex parte Quirin, and this decision explicitly relies on it as precedent.

But that decision (from 1942 – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_parte_Quirin) – was rendered during, and in connection with, an actual state of declared war. We are in no such state at present, although Judge Luttig appears willing to go along with the Admin’s hand-waving on that point. Furthermore, the import of the ruling (rendered in response to, not in avoidance of, a habeas corpus petition) was that the alleged German saboteurs in question were not entitled to POW status and could properly be tried in a military tribunal; it did not say they could be held indefinitely without charge or trial, nor did it rule that a military tribunal could be an acceptable alternative to a trial in a civilian court with proper jurisidiction.

Here’s a pdf file from the Fourth Circuit’s website: http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/056396.P.pdf

We’re not at war.

Not a lot – I never had any illusions about Clinton’s “liberalism.” That two of his judicial appointees might go over to the Dark Side does not much astonish me. But it does make me feel pessimistic about the prospects of getting this ruling reversed.

Thanks. This opinion relies so much on Hamdi, that it’s impossible to understand it w/o first understanding Hamdi. After reading that opinion I remembered why never wanted to become a lawyer-- I just can’t figure out what the heck it says. But it is clear that the administration does not have the authority to detain US citizens indefinitely, per Hamdi. How this could be acceptable in the case in the OP is beyond me, unless there is something we are missing.

I’m hoping one of the lawyers around here can help us sort this out. Is **Gfactor **one our resident lawyers?

Ok. Here’s the breakdown on Hamdi:

4 opinions:

Plurality (written by O’Connor. Rehnquist, Kennedy, and Breyer) Remanded the case for evidentiary hearing.

Dissent (written by Scalia, joined by Stevens) Would have order trial or release.

Dissent (written by Thomas) would have affirmed the judgment.

Concurrence/dissent (written by Souter. Joined by Ginsburg) would have remanded with instructions to dismiss.

I’ll break it down into separate posts for each opinion.

The plurality:

There are a few issues that come up in each of the opinions.

1. Does the AUMF constitute a suspension of habeas corpus?

The plurality answers that it doesn’t (none of the justices say that)

1. Does Section 4001(a), which states that “[n]o citizen shall be imprisoned or otherwise detained by the United States except pursuant to an Act of Congress,” bar the dentention?
  1. Does the “enemy combatants” rule apply to US citizens?
  1. What standards should apply to the detention of enemy combatants?

a.

b. The Court acknowledged the

c. The Court acknowledged the

and suggested

d. The Court concluded that “a citizen-detainee seeking to challenge his classification as an enemy combatant must receive notice of the factual basis for his classification, and a fair opportunity to rebut the Government’s factual assertions before a neutral decisionmaker.”

e. In connection the opportunity to rebut, the detainee has a right to counsel.

Important points made in the opinion:

1. Because this conflict might not have a definite end, there may be some temporal limit to detention:
  1. Seems to distinguish captures on foreign battlefields from captures on US soil:

This is a key point in the 4th Circuit case (see pp. 14-18).

The Hamdi plurality also said:

What are they talking about? It’s not really clear. Here is Scalia’s response to these claims:

It’s not clear where this disctinction comes from, but the plurality seems to be saying that a different result might be required if a US citizen were captured on US soil (as is the case in Padilla).

*Quirrin *, the case that the Justices are arguing about here involved several combatants who were captured on American soil. All were clearly German citizens except for Haupt, whose parents had become naturalized US citizens. The Quirrin court decided that Haupt’s citizenship was irrelevant because

(Citations omitted).

and

In other words, *Quirrin * found both citizenship and locus of capture irrelevant.

1. The Court sort of addresses the lack-of-official-war-with Taliban like this:
  1. As I pointed out earlier, two of the four justices that joined this opinion will not be on the Court to hear Padilla’s appeal.

Thanks for the summary. That was one of the confusing things I remember reading. How does that “opportunity” differ from a trial, and what are the minimum req’ts of the trial substitute (if a substitue is allowed)? It seems very, very vague…

And what about persons detained by U.S. authorities outside the U.S. (e.g., Gitmo or Abu Ghraib)?

That would seem to rule out military tribunals . . .

Scalia Dissent:

1. Does Section 4001(a), which states that “[n]o citizen shall be imprisoned or otherwise detained by the United States except pursuant to an Act of Congress,” bar the dentention?

Yes. Unless the detainee is charged with a crime or habeas is suspended.

Yes. But it only works if habeas is suspended. Otherwise the government must prosecute or release citizen detainees.

Ordinary constitutional standards.

Important points:

1. Scalia’s rule only applies to “citizens, accused of being enemy combatants, who are detained within the territorial jurisdiction of a federal court. This is not likely to be a numerous group; currently we know of only two, Hamdi and Jose Padilla.”

Good question. According to Scalia, “Where the citizen is captured outside and held outside the United States, the constitutional requirements may be different.”

The plurality points out that this territorial limitation only motivates the military and the Executive to keep detainees on foreign soil. This makes sense because the plurality’s solution requires the detainee to invoke habeas corpus, which applies even to foreign nationals in US custody on foreign soil. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=03-334#opinion1

1. “Moreover, even within the United States, the accused citizen-enemy combatant may lawfully be detained once prosecution is in progress or in contemplation.”

By what theory does he distinguish citizens from noncitizens? Nothing in the Bill of Rights says its guarantees are limited to citizens. Generally speaking, U.S. citizens have only two kinds of rights or privileges that noncitizens have not: The (highly conditional) privileges of political participation, i.e., voting and holding public office; and the (unconditional) right to reside on U.S. soil without being deported or exiled, even in punishment for crime.

Oh, they spelled it out for us:

It’s hard to tell from this what is actually required. They are telling us though that it’s not a regular old trial: The prosecutor could use hearsay evidence, which is inadmissible at a trial. The prosecution can have only the burden of production of evidence–not the burden of persuasion at trial. At a criminal trial, the prosecution has the burden of esablishing (introducing evidence and convincing the judge and jury that it is sufficient) guilt beyond a reasonble doubt: the defendant is said to be presumed innocent. At these trials, the detainee is presumed guilty as soon as the prosecution introduces credible evidence that the detainee is an enemy combatant. The detaine has to disprove enemy combatant status. They didn’t give us a standard of proof, but no matter what standard applies, the detainee has a much harder case than a defendant in a criminal trial.

Actually, no. The plurality says:

(Citation omitted.)

In other words, the habeas procedure is only necessary if there is no military tribunal to decide the case.

Thomas Dissent:

The way Thomas analyzes it, it’s hard to tell.

He doesn’t answer the question directly. The implication of his reasoning is that Section 4001 does not apply.
3. Does the “enemy combatants” rule apply to US citizens?

Yes.

It’s a political question for the executive branch. Courts should not second guess them.

Important points:

1. Sees this an an extension of the war power.

2. The first paragraph is a pretty good overview.

Concurrence/dissent

No.

Yes. Because of this, the detainees should be released.

Not answered.

The AUMF does not justify holding them. But since the plurality has decided that it does: