Paper, plastic, or do you want to push your trunk past the register?

This has to be the most ecologically sound way to shop. Instead of using bags at all you just take your trunk out of your car and load groceries directly into it.
At home, you would push your trunk right into the pantry to unload.

The invention is GM’s Three-Wheeled Runabout (1966)

Old idea or just ahead of its time?

Just think of the self check out or the express lanes! The traffic jams…
weird looking shopping cart.

I do something equivalent with a regular car. I just bring a couple cardboard boxes in the trunk to the store. Plop them in the store’s cart and shop without paper or plastic bags.

At one time this was the norm, and auto makers, especially Chevy and Ford, had trunks with lids that opened from the floor of the trunk, so you could slide boxes in without lifting them over a sill. The same thing was true for station wagons.

I recommend motorcycles for shopping. You can’t carry much in a backpack and they corner well in the produce section.

There was a local super market chain in Spokane WA that would load your groceries into a plastic bin (like at the airport for security screening) and put it on a conveyor belt that would then transport it outside to the curb. It took a few minutes to get there so you had time to get to your car and bring it up to the curb where the bagboy would then help you load it right into your car.

(you didn’t have to do this, you could just load your stuff back into the cart and wheel it to your car.)

Although, I imagine the rubber marks on the floor really annoy the baggers who have to do the mopping.

The local Safeway chain lets you order online and have things delivered. They arrive in a big bin sort of like plastic milk crates, but with lids. No bags. They leave it on your porch if you aren’t home. Not sure I’d trust that.

This is a novelty? I’ve now got three supermarket chains touting for home-delivery business, and I hardly live in the middle of anywhere.

Edit: four, if you include a small one in town (some way from any car park) which lets you do your shopping, then dump it with them to be delivered later that day.

That brings back memories, I think A&P used to have those when I was younger. They also had those cool coffee grinders.

What a cool car. I’d say it was definitely ahead of its time. The American car companies have GOT to start coming up with some off the wall ideas that stick if they want to survive.

There’s a local chain around here that still does this. Only they don’t allow carts in the parking lot; it’s use the conveyor system or carry it yourself. Apparently their carts last forever, and don’t get stolen.

And their customers are loyal (though the fan-freaking-tastic produce probably helps, too, and the employees that are not surly and actually know something). I rarely buy groceries anywhere else. Yes, even though the Spaghettios are a few cents more per can than at Wal-Mart.

Most people have steps of some sort into their house. A cart isn’t gonna cut it.

Who is this service supposed to appeal to, just pedrestrians and people who have to take public transportation? Or everyone? If you drive yourself there, I can’t imagine why it would be more convenient to drive back home without your stuff and wait for it. I can see it being really useful for people who don’t own cars, though.

If it didn’t cost more, I’d have done it when I lived on the third floor in a building with a rickety wooden curving set of stairs to my unit. I was terrified carrying bags of groceries up there, especially while pregnant.

'Sides, to say, “except for those taking public transportation” is to exclude a good 50% or more of the shoppers around here. Maybe it’s a city thing.

But even in the suburbs, my mother and I often make a day of shopping - school clothes and supplies, groceries, shoes for the kids…we have to do the grocery shopping last so things don’t get smelly or wilty or melted in the car while we’re looking at sneakers at the next store. Heaven forbid we get out of the grocery store and then realize we need XYZ somewhere else. Why would you NOT want delivery, assuming it’s not prohibitively expensive?

Grocery delivery to my house would seem a bit wasteful. I f I am going there anyhoo, I should just take my groceries with me. We really aren’t on the way to anywhere else so less gas is used if I do it. If the Post Office were to delivery my groceries on their usual rounds it might make sense.

I want nothing more than to have groceries delivered to my house. I can’t find a store that delivers in my area. I live in Manhattan for Og’s sake! You would think I could find a grocery chain that would bring groceries to my part of the island, but noooo, no groceries for pbbth unless I pick them up myself. :frowning:

One place that I lived in Indiana was just one block from the supermarket (and only two from the laundromat). I would take a kids’ red wagon with an 18 gallon plastic tote to the grocery (or the laundromat), use it as a shopping cart, then take it home, take the tote in and voila! no bags to dispose of.

I did this even though I owned two vehicles at the time. Some places in the supermarket parking lot were actually farther away than my home.

For the reason Kuboydal stated: it’s a waste of gas to drive to the same location I’m already going to. And I also wouldn’t want to arrange my day to make sure I’m home to meet the delivery, either.