parachuting

I’ve been thinking about doing it for a few years, but haven’t had the money or been near enough to a “jump school/club” and I have a question which may sound really, really dumb.

When you parachute, what does it feel like? Do you get a stomach jumping itno your throat kind of feeling? Would it be really lame to wear a motion sickness patch?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There is some “stomach in your throat” feeling, but it’s reasonably brief. I don’t recall anyone getting sick from this – no need for the patch, I’d say.

Nearly everyone is rather scared on his/her first jump, but you tend to get over this once you’re out of the plane. Free-fall is very exciting. Being under the canopy is relaxing. Most prople find the experience fairly intense, and a real thrill. A few feel it’s too much. I never met anyone who was bored or blase about that first jump.

I think raw fear, rather than sickness, will be your main emotion. It certainly was mine the first (and, so far, only) time i jumped out of a plane. If you are doing a free-fall for your first time, and it’s not a tandem, you will probably have a jump-master on either side to make sure you remain stable and nothing goes wrong. There is a moment of sensory overload when you first exit the plane, but once you are free-falling and going through the drill that you have been taught things seem to go pretty smothly. And the feeling of relief when the parachute opens and you can float down is fantastic. If i had the money, i would have taken it up as a hobby, but we grad students need our cash for things like rent. :frowning:

Of course, things change a bit when you’re doing a tandem, as you don’t have to worry about doing very much, and so you can just concentrate on the terror associated with jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane. :slight_smile:

You won’t need a patch. I had more excitement than fear, although I did mine tandem so I didn’t have to worry about anything. I don’t recall a stomach-in-throat feeling as I exited the plane. We did a couple somersaults so there was too much sensory overload, I think, to feel anything down there. I highly recommend it and I’d do it again if it were cheaper and more accessible.

I’ve wanted to try skydiving for a long time, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. One thing that I’ve decided is that the first time, I don’t want to use a parachute.

You see, parachutes are “mechanical” devices. They’ve been known not to open. I don’t want to take the chance that the chute won’t open on my first jump.

:smiley:

Welcome to the boards WSLer,

I’ve been jumping for about 6-7 years now. I’ve never felt the stomach in the throat thing myself. My wife has occasionally when exiting the plane and you start that sudden acceleration toward the ground. But thats the only time

If you get motion sickness you might want to wear a patch or take a Dramamine (sp) for the plane ride to altitude, but not really for the actual jump. Although, people have been known to get sick from the plane ride. And well once one guy spewed while under canopy for his first tandem jump. But, he was extremely hung over. All people react differently to the stimulus. Most people don’t remember the first 2-3 seconds of their very first jump. The brain is overloaded from whats going on.

Once you are at terminal in freefall you don’t feel the motion anymore. Like riding in a plane, you don’t feel like your going 450 miles an hour. The opening shock from the canopy can be a little abrupt depending on how its packed and wing loading and all that stuff. The ride under canopy is fun. Like riding in a open glider almost.

Email me if you have questions I’d be more than happy to answer them.
:slight_smile:

it’s the terminal bit that would make me feel sick!

:smiley: :smiley:

at terminal velocity its just a whole bunch of wind, nothing to get sick over :smiley: