Paranormal experience

I want to hear your paranormal experiences. I never had one and, honestly, I am pretty convinced that 99,9% of them can be explained rationally.
But I am fascinated by this kind of stories specially if they are well told.
I am looking for true experiences.
Finally, a warning. I don’t want this thread ruined by debates. If you want to do it, do it in GD.
Feel free to relate an experience that happened not to you but to a relative or friend.
I’ll go first.
My uncle’s brother was a pilot in Argentina’s Air Force. During Malvina’s (Falkland) War he participated in the raids against the British Task force.
Once, while flying very fast and almost brushing the sea, a Harrier shot him down.
He bailed out. Take into account that he was a few meters above sea level and going very fast, a wise thing to do considering the Harriers. It was a certified suicide because the ejector seat wasn’t supposed to be activated in those conditions.
He hit the sea very roughly but he survived.
He eventually manage to swim to the island, and was rescued by our soldiers.
The paranormal part is this. At the precise moment he was shot down his mother woke up crying, 2000 kms away, and told his father that something had happened to their son.

I don’t know what to call these 2 events other than unexplained.

One involved a traffic stop at night. I saw a hooded figure walk in front of my car but it was like a reflection in the windshield. I was in the middle of nowhere and it was so strange that I got out of my car and physically looked for the person(looked like a teenager). I didn’t know if he suddenly laid down in front of my car or what. I looked around the entire car and then under it. The only way he could have avoided being seen was if he had jumped head first into the ditch next to the road.

The second event was at a historical park. I was helping to clear brush and was standing next to another person when the sound of footsteps came toward us in the leaves. For all practical purposes the sound stopped about 5 or 10 feet in front of us. We had a clear view of everything around us so it couldn’t be a deer or a rabbit. The gate of the sound was distinctly human. We just looked at each other in bewilderment.

My husband was working nights, and it was about 3 am. I was alone in the house except for my two large dogs. I was going to bed, and had just put my book down to go to sleep, when I hear what sounded like three women wailing loudly in the street. My dogs go nuts barking, but I can still hear the wailing. It was a very odd sound, very mournful, and three quite distinct voices. No, it did not sound like cats.

I got up and I’m looking around for the source of the noise. It still sounds like it’s coming from the street, but at this point I’ve got every light in the the house on, my dogs are still going nuts, and none of the neighbors have turned on any of their lights. The street is empty. No other neighborhood dogs are barking. I’ve been looking for a few minutes, and the wailing is still going on, although it’s quieted just a bit. The rest of the neighborhood is still silent and dark. My dogs and I seem to be the only ones hearing this.

At this point, I call my husband at work, which I never do, because he’s an aircraft mechanic and someone has to go to the flight line to fetch him if he’s to take a call. But I call him, and by the time, maybe 10 minutes after this started, he gets to the phone, the sound has mostly faded away.

And that’s it. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me, but no dramatic ending.

My boyfriend and I rented a room in a supposedly haunted house whilst I was at university. I quite often felt I was being watched in the house, but put it down to me being silly.

One night, my (then) boyfriend and I both had bad head colds. In the middle of the night, my husband awoke and saw a headless female figure standing in front of the fireplace which was in the corner of the room. She was facing the bed.

The next morning when we woke, we both had hankies in our hands. We had not gone to bed with hankies. They were my husbands hankies and I would have had to have gotten out of bed, walked around to my husband’s side of the bed and opened his side drawer to get one.

When we told the house owner about this, she explained the house had been built for a couple who got married. It was built next to the bride’s parent’s house. The couple lived their entire (apparently very happy) lives in this house until the wife died. Husband went to a nursing home where he was still alive at the time we were living in the house. The current house owner said she felt the woman was waiting for the husband to die.

I saw a something when I was 12 years old. It wasn’t at all frightening at the time but it gives me goose bumps to think about it now.

I was laying in bed late one night - everyone else in the house was also in bed. I shared a room with my brother. I had my eyes open just looking at the ceiling when I saw what I thought was my mother come into the room and move to by brother’s bed. It stayed there for a few seconds before moving to the door on the way out again. As it got to the door I said goodnight. It stopped then slowly turned toward me before turning away and vanishing into nothing. The strange thing was it didn’t walk but glided. Its appearance was of a woman in a flowing robe like a night robe.

By this point I realized that it wasn’t my mother. She tends not to vanish into thin air; she answers goodnight; she walks rather than glides.

I didn’t know it at the time but my father and one of my sisters both saw something when we lived in that house. And my brother took to sleepwalking while we lived there. I also did not know at the time that the previous occupants died prior to our moving in.

I don’t know why but I didn’t tell any one about this until several years later after we had moved to another house in another suburb. I still don’t like driving past where that house used to be - it has been demolsihed and a new house built long ago.

I still don’t know what it really was. I’m sure I did not imagine it - it was too real. And I cannot understand how I was not afraid on that night or any of the nights after that. But it really creeps me out now.

ETA: I just realized something that I never thought significant before. My brother who the ghost came to look at was sleeping in a very old children’s cot that was in the house when we moved in. The couple who lived there before us were elderly and as far as I know died of natural causes. I suppose the cot must have belonged to their child several decades before.

When I was 17, I was sitting at the dinner table, with my parents and three brothers. In the center of the table was a bottle of Heinz ketchup. All of a sudden, the cap flew off the ketchup bottle, and flew in an arc (about 3’ diameter). It then landed on tne table, about 2 inches away from the table edge.
I have never seen anythng like this since.

One time I was in deep distress, I cried out for Jesus to pray for me, and that exact moment a fellow believer felt a very strong urge to do just that (the believer being part of the body of Christ). I found this out after, he was over 100 miles away without any contact with me.

Another time while in much pain of the heart, in a supermarket I prayed to Jesus to help me, He took control of my body and walked me to a particular food item, one that I didn’t really know existed, which I bought and took and felt wonderful about a minute after.

Never mind – misread the OP.

I’ve had sex with a ghost

I don’t know that I would qualify this as paranormal so much as eerie coincidence, but a couple years back, my son’s cub scout troop volunteered to help with a grand event at the Andersonville National Historic Site, where the plan was to create 13,000 luminarias, one for each of the prisoners that died there. The day was beautiful, and the assembled scouts and various volunteers worked all day filling paper bags with sand and placing candles within them, then distributed them throughout the site. Then, when all the bags were placed, we were given barbecue lighters to go around and light the candles, with dusk rapidly approaching.

We got about half of the luminarias lit when suddenly, the sky opens up and the rain extinguishes all the candles. This lasted about ten or fifteen minutes, then suddenly, the rain stops, and the sky lightens. The guy in charge of the project makes the decision to try again, so we all go out and, though the paper bags are pretty much wrecked, we rip them open and start relighting candles. We were almost done, had probably 4/5ths of the candles lit, when again the sky just opens and dumps water on us. We all retreat back to our rally point, and the decision is made to end the attempt. We go to our cars, and as we begin to leave, the rain just stops, and the sky clears up.

The eerie part, though, is this…as we were leaving the park, we drove by a small hill that was reserved for the luminarias dedicated to the handful of Confederate soldiers/prisoners that died at Andersonville…and somehow, they had remained lit through the last downpour. There were too many to have been relit between when the rain had stopped and we had passed the hill. My wife (now ex) just turned to me, raised her eyebrow, and we drove on.

There was something at the house I grew up in that didn’t care for things made out of glass. The most notable occasion happened when I was pretty young, about 12ish. My aunt was over talking to my mother in the kitchen, I was in the living room watching TV and we all heard a loud crash/pop sound coming from the hallway between us. I get up and my mother meets me and asks me what happened, I said I didn’t know and we went looking for the source of the sound. There is a bathroom off that hall and when we looked in we didn’t immediately see anything but then my mother noticed that the glass shade for the light fixture (on the ceiling) was gone. Now, there were a few… very very few little bits of glass down on the floor immediately beneath the fixture… but nowhere near enough to make the whole shade. The vast majority of the rest of the bits were in the tub, on the far right side of the room, which is a step into shower/tub combo thing and the shower curtain was half drawn. So, the fixture apparently just shattered, for no apparent reason, then the fragments instead of spraying everywhere or just falling directly below on the ground instead launched themselves into one specific direction towards the tub negotiating a shower curtain in the way. There might be some kind of ‘magic bullet’ reason that explains how it happened using just physics but it’s damned odd.

I find it strange that you invite people to post what is by definition controversial material, and then say you don’t want any debate about it. I’m also intrigued by the notion that to debate something is to ‘ruin’ it. In a forum ostensibly devoted to fighting ignorance, as opposed to spreading it thinner, these two policies seem at least unhelpful. For example, some people here have posted stories that may seem strange or paranormal at first, but are seen in a different light when you look at the numbers and probabilities involved. Your thread, your rules, okay. But is illumination really to be feared so much?

I think what he means is, this being, IMHO and no GD, the purpose of this thread is to gather anecdotes and not debating their plausibility.

The only one I have that can’t easily be explained away as something else-
A long time ago while I was in high school, my parents found themselves with toooo many house guests all at once. So they asked if I could stay at a friends house one night during the week.

Well, of course the only friend I could stay with was my girlfriend. Both sets of parents “knew” we were having sex and turned a blind eye to it and everyone agreed it was okay for me to stay there that night.

They had a guest room in their creaky old house and I actually fully expected to sleep in there. Well night rolled around and her folks went to sleep.
We went to bed…and she kept me in her bedroom.

Now this house was old and creaky like I said. You could hear someone moving anywhere in the house. In fact right before getting into bed, we heard the dog walk down the hall and then go downstairs. The house was dead silent.
I remember it clear as day, I was looking at the bedroom door and was just about to take my shirt off when there were two loud thuds on the door. Like someone hitting the door as hard as they could. I remember the door even buckling a bit.

And then silence.

Was it her dad? I don’t think so because we would have heard him walk up to the door and then walk away… there was nothing.

My girlfriend quietly said “That happens sometimes.”

This is probably in the category of extreme coincidence but Telemark and I posted this in the exact same minute in the thread about car giveaway promotions. I don’t know what the probability is for two people to post basically the same sentence at the same time but it has to be up there.

No it’s not. I posted in IMHO in order to avoid debates. While I am 99,9% sure that paranormal experiences can be explained rationally, I love this kind of anecdotes and, so far, I wasn’t disappointed. If you want to debate feel free to open up a thread in GD.
Till then save us from the shining beacon of your powerful mind.

The South DID rise again!

:smiley:

When I worked in a restaurant that didn’t refrigerate the ketchup bottles (they just went on a shelf in the kitchen at night), I saw tops pop off ketchup bottles several times (but only once dramatically). In my experience, ketchup can spoil, and it gets bubbly. I always figured bubbles formed, gases built up and if the top was on just so - it was enough force to lift the cap off. Less dramatically, on multiple occasions, I would get to work in the morning and the top would be off a bottle of ketchup, with ketchup oozing down the side.

Never had one. This one time, though (at band camp), the tone arm on my turntable kept jumping up and down. I had the weight set very light, and the arm kept coming down on the same piece of grunge, which sprung it up. The first couple of times it happened, though, it was definitely creepy.

Another time, over spring break in college, I woke up thinking that something had happened to a good friend of mine. When I got back to school, it turned out she’d been in a car wreck that night (no one was hurt). This was a spooky convergence of me worrying and something actually happening. Of course, I worry about my children all the time, and nothing happens. Then, things happen to them when I haven’t given them a thought. But that one time when I managed to be right sticks with me.

You win the award for freakiest story so far. shudder

I’m telling this third-hand, so I can’t verify it. Back in maybe the 40s, a friend’s mother was invited by her girlfriends to go see a psychic. She refused, thinking it all to be hooey. They finally convinced her to go just for the fun of it.

The psychic told her that one day her parents were going to get into a bad accident and doctors would write them off as dead. She was under no circumstances to let the doctors take them off of life support, as they’d eventually make a full recovery. It may take months or years, but they’d pull through.

Thirty years later that’s exactly what happened.