Paris

Is there any connection between the Trojan warrior and the French capital?

Some quick, half-assed research tells me that Paris (the town) was founded by a Gaul tribe called the Parisii, so I guess the real question is: Did they get their name from Homer’s epic?

No.

Don’t know how much help this is, but I got it from http://clanhuston.com/name/namep-s.htm . It’s a website explaining the origins of surnames, including Paris.

As you stated, UM, the French city name comes from the (apparently) Latin parisii, the meaning of which has been lost.

The Trojan Paris is speculated to come from the names Voltuparis or Assoparis, meaning “hawk”. I think there is still the possibility that they are related, but it’s probably impossible at this late date to know for sure.

I lost some Trojans in Paris once.

Thanks for the info Mr. K…and thanks for the laugh Mr. H!

I can’t find any reference to this tribe except as it concerns the founding of Paris and their defeat by Julius Caesar. I’m guessing that the Parisii got their name from the Romans. Is it possible that the Parisii were named for their falconry skills? I know the sport was practiced by the Persians in ancient times, but would it have been known to Western European barbarians before the arrival of the Romans? Are the Greek words for “hawk” similar to those in Latin?

Sorry, UM. In Latin:

falcon = falco
hawk = accipiter

One french history book I had at home had no origin for the Roman term Parisii.

P.S. The old name for Paris is “Lutetia” (in Latin) or “Lutece” (in French.) Eventually it became known as “city of the Parisiens”, and finally “Paris.”

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

Adding to the above, if the Roman name was Lutetia (something like “mud-pit” I’m guessing; ‘lut-’ root seems to imply filth), then “Paris” is probably from a later, Frankish language, or was Gallic and already in use by the locals during the empire.