Parking garage collapse in Lower Manhattan [2023-04-18]

A parking garage has collapsed.

But according to this article, that is exactly what you’d expect !

Interesting. (Article is about how electric vehicles are heavy, and some old garages are fated to collapse as they become more common.)

That article leads to wondering if anyone loved the Manhattan garage.

I have always hated parking garages, although I understand why they’re built.

Just as a point of interest:

What does a Ford F-150 weigh?

The gross weight of an F-150 scales between 6,100 to 7,050 pounds depending on what body style and equipment you opt for.

How much does a Tesla Model 3x weigh?

The Tesla Model 3 is currently available in three trims: The single motor Model 3 Standard Range Plus is the second-lightest Tesla ever at 3,582 lbs. The other two dual-motor Model 3 trims, Long Range and Performance, both weigh in at 4,065.

New York is expensive & virtually all garages in Manhattan are valet. In addition to parking in the marked spaces, I have found it not uncommon to have cars parked in the aisles so that they need to jockey cars around to get one specific vehicle out; were the garages designed for those extra cars?. Forgetting about the extra weight of EV batteries, cars weigh significantly more that they did when this garage was built decades ago.

I’ll bet that when the final investigation comes out that one or more of the columns were already damaged (prior to today) & that the engineering specs from 60 years ago are no longer accurate.

According to my oracle Google:

• 1960 Ford Falcon - 2259 lbs
  • 2022 Honda CR-V - 3337 - 3569 lbs
  • 2022 Tesla S - 3648 - 4250 lbs

ETA: Ninja’d by @JaneDoe42 while I was typing

It is important to remember that the battery makers are working hard to make the batteries lighter and longer lasting.

My favorite car, the Desoto Fireflite weighed in at about 4000 lbs. so parking garages should have been designed with that sort of weight in mind.

Or never were. There was a whole lot of corruption in the building industry back in those days.

Personally, I am happily surprised that only one person was killed. I’m also feeling really sorry for those folks who’s cars weren’t damaged but probably won’t see them again for weeks at the very least.

Yikes! My son works 3 blocks away from there. I texted him to ask if he felt shaking or rumbling in his building (he’s on the 12th floor) and am waiting to hear back, but he’s not good about replying to calls or texts.

If he was parked there, he’s probably still trying to figure out how he’s going to get home.

I live in a hi-rise with a multi-level parking garage built into the building. Just tonight there was a board meeting and one topic for discussion was adding chargers for electric vehicles to the garage. A point brought up was we needed a structural analysis to see if the garage can hold electric cars.

A few are no problem. The worry is, can the structure handle it if most cars in the garage are electric?

It is a fairly modern building but it is a question we need answered.

How old is the garage that collapsed?

Luckily not; he takes the subway. I just checked the map and the subway lines don’t run under the collapsed building, so they should have been running all right to get him back to his apartment.

Thank goodness! Tell us what he heard and felt when he answers your message.

It was built in 1925:
57 Ann St. in Fulton/Seaport : Sales, Rentals, Floorplans | StreetEasy

Calling my son right now!

[quote=“Spiderman, post:7, topic:982874”]

…that the engineering specs from 60 years ago are no longer accurate.

According to my oracle Google:

• 1960 Ford Falcon - 2259 lbs
  • 2022 Honda CR-V - 3337 - 3569 lbs
  • 2022 Tesla S - 3648 - 4250 lbs
    [/quote]

No.

City Buildings Department records show the three-story structure has been a garage at least since the 1920s, and there are no recent permits for construction.

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/nation_world_news/parking-garage-collapses-in-nyc-killing-1-5-injured/article_ae2fb2cd-86fa-5988-8227-d3a1c4d856ca.html

Observe what the roof deck looked like:

OK my son was working from home today in his apartment 35 minutes from Lower Manhattan. He’s going in tomorrow and will ask people who were in the building what they felt.

He says that he knows just a couple of people at work who drive in; most people working in that area take the bus or train, and there aren’t many people living in that area either.

My guess is that the person who died was one of the parking employees. From what I’ve seen when parking in that area (we live an hour away), they’re often young guys.

My uncle happens to live a block away! (He’s at Nassau and Fulton). He’s okay, thank goodness (but he told me he is worried about “the guy who sometimes parks my car,” as referenced in the previous post).

Not only that, he’s lived there for almost 50 years — since the mid 70s. There really WERE very few residents in the area, then. (Composer Philip Glass was one neighbor in his building).

But actually more residents started moving into the Wall Street area starting in the mid 1990s. September 11 of course put a damper on things…but the area bounced back, and nowadays there are a fair amount of residents.

It’s odd that EVs are the thing to worry about, when SUVs are comparable or heavier, and the move to SUVs has been a much bigger deal for a lot longer. But now EVs are the problem. Huh.