Parking lots have moving cars in them too fuckmunch!

I agree with you 100%. Merging needs it’s own thread though. If you start one, I’ll witness. Guaran-damned-teed.

Getting back to the OP:

I would agree said Urban Barricades (spelt SUV) always seem to have curtains or the darkest fucking tint.

Walking 5 abreast at the speed of glaciers is tantamount to “asking” to be run over.
My other pet-peeve is against the White Rabbits who think, cutting diagonally accross lanes clearly marked on the pavement, will save them any more than a stinking shit-breath of time.
I don’t think dnooman, was begrudging them the right of way, rather why they have no courtesy to objects that could render them even more useless.

My pet-peeve is against the people who drive diagonally accross the lot, not so much the people…sorry.

Bingo!

Two out of three?

I believe it has to do with who is at fault should one get hit but I could be wrong.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say that. Now, if a cop is there and wants to write someone a ticket for walking like a jerk, that’s cool. But the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way if they’re in the crosswalk, or looking like they’re going to enter the crosswalk, or if they’re jaywalking. I will always slow down and let them by, regardless of the statute. Anyone else handle these situations differently?

The easy solution to your problem is to park well away from the theater and walk in. No pedestrians. No hassles. And if you’re like most of us the walk will do you good anyway.

Malarkey. Jaywalkers do not have the right of way.

You obviously know that. So, why’d you post the above?

I have permission from the local police to park in the striped yellow areas, which happen to be close to where I’m going, and closer to the theater. Parking farther away would be fine if I were there for a while, but sometimes I need to leave right away.

No, but if you see someone jaywalking, you’re still not entitled to just go ‘pah’ and mow them down, are you? If someone is jaywalking, and you hit them despite your best efforts to avoid an accident, it’s their problem and they get no sympathy from the law. If, on the other hand, they step out 200m in front of you in clear view on an empty highway and you make no effort to swerve or brake before smearing them down the road, I’d have thought the police might want to introduce you to a judge.

So effectively, they do have a partial right of way because the driver has to make reasonable efforts to avoid hitting them. Or is it different in the US? if so it would certainly explain why everyone is so terrified of walking…

Because when it gets down to whether or not someone is going to exercise their legal right of way, it is meaningless if there’s a pedestrian in the way. If you run someone over simply because you had the right of way, you’re going down. And you’d be a gigantic asshole besides.

I’m not sure why you have to frequent this place. Is this the only parking for miles around?
In any case **a parking lot outside a popular cinema is by definition a place where people are continually getting in and out of cars and walking. ** Therefore the drivers must expect that conditions will not be the same as on roads.

40 mph in a parking lot?! Crazy. Criminal.

Well I agree that pedestrians should look (and politely move out the way). But drivers should also moderate their behaviour in the parking lot. Note there will only be a tragedy if a driver is going too fast.

No. It isn’t.

No, jackass. Of course you’re not. Where the heck did I say that they were?

Yes, it’s different. The jaywalker does not have a right of way. And the driver is responsible to operate his or her vehicle in a responsible and safe manner. That, by no means, gives any jaywalker an "effective right of way.

BTW, in the UK, what exactly is the law regarding pedestrian right of way and motorist right of way? Be so kind as to post an actual cite (such as those actual cites already posted in this thread) and not just “slaphead says it’s so.”

Did you miss this part?

If I’m going 15mph and some kid darts out, he might get his or her little head stuck under my wheel. You’d probably have to witness these kids and teens sprinting through the parking lot aisles in order to see the dgree of danger they are flirting with.

I have to park there because I work there. I can’t park far away because I am constantly coming ang going.

I do my part to make things safe, so should the pedestrians.

Hey, pal, this is America - we have the freedom to be as ignorant, arrogant, self-absorbed and hypocritical as we want to be. Love it or leave it, pinko.

Good thing we have lawyers, policemen, and insurance companies. Thinking and common sense is for stupids. [/sarcasm]

I have fun with these people on the paved biking/walking path that runs along the river here. When I see groups blocking the entire path by their 4- or 5- or 6-abreast walking, it’s fun to accelerate (on my bicycle, not my car) toward them, calling out in a loud, clear voice, “Passing!” The look on their faces when the abruptly realize that gasp other people are also using the trail is always entertaining.

Interestingly, I’ve noticed several different reactions to my approach:

The Startled White Folks: Usually a group of young married couples, or all women. They move out of the way helter-skelter, the whites of their eyes betraying their conviction that they’re about to die beneath my wheels. Their need to “stick together” results in at least one of them wasting precious seconds dodging completely across the path - she may have been walking on the left edge of the pavement, but she’s scampering all the way to the right because that’s the way the rest of the herd went.

The Incredulous Teenagers: These kids already saw me coming, so they ignore my warning cry. As I approach I can see the words “They told us in school that we have the right of way” written in their sneers. They will wait until the last possible instant, forcing me to slow to a crawl, at which point the slacker on the end will shuffle off to one side, leaving just enough room to squeeze my bike past.

The Nonchalant Mexicans: Clearly far more accustomed to and smarter about walking instead of driving or riding in a car, these folks don’t even turn their heads to look when they hear my warning. Without slowing their pace, they simply split their group neatly in half. The two or three closest to the left move off the left edge of the path; the ones on the right move further in that direction, leaving me a nice, wide gap to pedal on through.

I really hate it when drivers do this when I’m on my bike or on foot. I’ve had drivers stop and wave me across the street … when I had no desire to cross the street. So I wave at them to proceed, that I’m not crossing the street - I’m just standing here. And then they sit there, waving back at me, while traffic backs up behind them … A few years ago, my walk home from work required me to cross a cloverleaf onramp. As I waited one day to cross, a woman came to a complete stop on the cloverleaf to allow me to cross. The driver behind her had to slam on her brakes to avoid rearending her.

I’ve actually had people stop at green lights to allow me to walk across the street. No, sorry, I’ll wait. Especially since the drivers in the other two lanes of the one-way-street are continuing to fly on by. But thanks anyway.

The ones I hate the most, though, are the ones who see me waiting to cross the street (for real), and they slow down. They don’t stop - they just slow down. I may have been planning to cross as soon as they passed. But now that they’ve slowed down, they’ve accomplished nothing except to allow the traffic behind them to close the gap, making it impossible for me to cross the street. I’m a grownup, people! When you see me standing on the side of the road, looking directly at the oncoming traffic, I’m not going to suddenly dash in front of you! And even if I did, your slowing from 30 MPH to 20 MPH isn’t going to significantly reduce the damage.

These people are the reason that I no longer stand on the curb while I wait to cross. I stand several feet back, well away from the curb so that it’s clear that I’m not going to cross the street this very instant.