Password managers?

How do they work? Can one give a password manager a test run? Can I try using it for SDMB and then back out or add the remainder of my password requirements later? Persons suggest password managers here from time to time. Which ones bubble to the top here most often? Is there a ‘‘Consumer reports’’ site that reviews them?

What happens when a site, like Amazon is recently reported to have done**, gets all excited and wants me to change my password?

**Has this really happened? I did not get the message.

Yes, this really happened.

I use 1Password, and I’ve been using it for years. I have it on my iPhone, iPad, all of my Macs, and my Nexus tablet. The password data is stored in an encrypted file on Dropbox, and is accessible across all devices. It generates and stores all of my passwords, and I use one master password to unlock the program on all of the devices.

When you need to create a new password on a website, you click on the 1Password browser extension to generate a new password. It fills it in automatically, and saves it as well. Not sure how it works from mobile devices, I only generate passwords when working on my Mac.