Passwords

For something important I don’t use words from the dictionary or literary characters and phrases. For a page like this, it’s no big deal to me.

Hackers will run through data bases with these words to get lucky cracking a password.

I’m only your wildest fear, from the corners of your darkest thoughts.

Personally, I just open a copy of notepad, and stab randomly at the keyboard six times, which generally produces a 6- or 8-letter password. This makes them very hard to guess.
Remembering them, on the other hand, is sometimes only slightly easier.

Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

FYI the reason not to use words found in the dictionary is that passwords are stored in encoded form. A way to find someone’s password is to encode the dictionary and compare the results with the password list. You can find a match without breaking the code. UNIX systems are (or at least used to be) notorious for this hack since everyone knew where the passwords were and there was a dictionary and a coding routine available as part of the system. It was just a little too user friendly.

I tend to choose passwords as anagrams… like…
ieyw2b (it’s everywhere you want to be)

“it’s all real”
“I KNEW IT!!!”
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Or my favorite, which I actually considered as a password: IMD12C4ABJ. Sound it out. I’m really not the one to see for a BJ, but it’s just too good.

I just used the one that was assigned to me also. But, now I’ve changed it to something that I feel fairly sure no one will figure out, since it involves something that happened to me a long time ago. My old one was upFdnp, whatever that meant.

Life is teaching you some painful lessons. But it is from adversity that strength is born. You may have lost the inning, but I know you’ll win the game.

I was issued my password when I joined the board. It’s just a jumble of letters. I’m going to keep it, what’s the worst that could happen?

Mine are based on memory, allusions, puns and similar landmarks that would mean diddly sqwoot to anone else. That’s why I chose 'em as passwords. Unless someone else has a map of my hopelessly gnarled synapses (wanna share?) it behooves naught to hackers/crackers. (Famous last words.)

Hey, I’ve finally found real use for those free-association tests. Sometimes ink blots just look like ink blots.

Messy mind but mine own,

Veb

I use my old password here other places, so I won’t say what it was. But I tend to use characters I roleplay with on IRC. Those I use have rather unusual names and I doubt anyone would ever be able to just guess which I was using if they knew my characters. I have over 61. :slight_smile:

When are you going to realize being normal isn’t necessarily a good thing?

I had the board-issued one: VqkFUm. I remembered it as “Vic Fum”, but I always forgot where the upper and lowercase letters went. For my new password, I used the first thing that popped into my head, in a bizarre hard-to-guess permutation. And promptly forgot it. For the last place I worked, I used obscure classes of starship from the Star Trek technical manuals. Ascension, Jenghiz, K’Teremny, S’Harien, and Akyazi are a few I remember off the top of my head. They made us change them every month, and I could never remember which one I was on. But my favorite password of all time has to be the one that got randomly assigned to me to access my high school computer network: “these”. I don’t know why, I always liked that one…

An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world’s great works of literature in Braille.

acronyms, rather.

what is essential is invisible to the eye -the fox

mine was the assigned one… pyTe25, not a password I would use for anything else.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing,and we can only fly by embracing one another