Pastrami, where have you been all my life?

Muffin, occasionally I get headaches from smoked or cured foods, although this was my first full blown migraine. I think other factors played into it too; the atmospheric pressure was dropping, I had been having a lot of heartburn the past few days, and I hadn’t slept well the night before. Any of those things can sometimes cause a mild to moderate headache for me, but apparently the planets aligned just right to have me miserable and sick the next day. I know that nitrates are a common migraine trigger, I just never thought I’d have to deal with it!

Ummmmmm…wrong.

Oh, I USED to have my location up there. It’s Brooklyn.

Wow, Picadilly’s is so close tome and I’ve never heard of it. I’ll definitely have to try it out. I love pastrami and corned beef. I guess it’d be too much to ask if they had chopped liver to go on top of the pastrami…

Glad to see you post.

It’s worth a shot. Am I hearing the distant rumblings of a possible Charlotte Dopefest?

Seconded! Good to see you around, Ike!

I know this sounds ridiculous, and it may well cause a severe loss of respect, but I will say it:
Subway’s pastrami is great. I’ve had a helluva lot of pastrami in my life, so I do know what I’m talking about. It beats The Hat and Jerry’s. Sure, I’ve had better, but for what you get for the price, it’s amazing. I know, I know, price should not be an issue. The fact that it’s easy on the wallet is just a side benefit. It also happens to be very convenient. No, you ain’t gonna get it on rye, and I’m not saying it’s the best in the world, but if you love pastrami, why not, right now, walk the 10 feet into Subway. Or, get some exercise and go into the one across the street.

Oh, crap… now you know exactly where I live

I went to Langer’s yesterday to sample the world’s best pastrami sandwich, and found out that they’re closed on Sundays.

That’s right. The world-famous Langer’s Delicatessen closes on the Christian sabbath. On the other six days of the week, they are only open until 4 p.m.

Other things you might want to know if planning a visit: It’s in the middle of a rather “interesting” neighborhood, and the parking is a block away.

We ended up going to Canters - convenient parking, friendly service and - most important for us - always open. We ended up getting excellent Reuben sandwiches (pastrami for my friend, corned beef for me - I figured if I had pastrami I would be thinking to much about Langer’s to enjoy it).

Definitely not to me. I do not find that impolite servers enhance any meal.

My mom used to make hot pastrami sandwiches on Saturdays after we got back from doing “the shop” (wherein she manages to buy enough food to feed all six of us for one week with coupons up the ying yang, brings her own paper bags before the Greenies took over, and recycled the soda cans weekly in machines that would spit out $0.05 a can).

The smell of hot pastrami, a little brown spicy mustard, and swiss cheese (she didn’t do the sauerkraut back then - that was a joy I discovered later) - it still comes back vividly to me. Back then, we used to pick up fresh pita breads made by a mediterranean shop nearby - and she would put the pastrami in there - the au jus pooling in the bottom and making every bite savory.

Of course, now I would have to try to find some half-decent gluten free bread to put it on. But mmm - still tastes good in my memory . . .

Honestly, that’s part of what has been keeping me away. Well, that and MacArthur park being very far away from anywhere I might ever be on an average day.

On the other hand, Factors is walking distance from my new apartment, so I might have to give that a shot.