Pat Sajak to retire

‘Wheel of Fortune’ host Pat Sajak announces his retirement: ‘It’s been a wonderful ride’

Pat Sajak, the longtime host of TV’s Wheel of Fortune, announced Monday that next season will be his last.

“Well, the time has come,” Sajak shared on social media. “I’ve decided that our 41st season, which begins in September, will be my last. It’s been a wonderful ride, and I’ll have more to say in the coming months. Many thanks to you all. (If nothing else, it’ll keep the clickbait sites busy!)”

More at the link. And Discourse tells me this topic is similar to “Pat Sajak irreplaceable as host of Wheel of Fortune”. I guess we’ll find out, Discourse!

41 seasons. That’s quite a spell.

I like Sajak, and his daughter seems nice enough, but to say he is irreplaceable seems rather polite.

Trebek summoned “the judges” when angry on a Simpsons episode. They looked like pretty tough dudes… :wink:

There was an April Fool’s in the ‘90s (?) when Sajak and Trebek switched shows. So we can absolutely judge for ourselves (if we can find footage).

How long did it take you come up with that? Well done!

Almost all of my puns are spontaneous.

Here you go!

Ah. A bee in your bonnet, then?

You could say that.
While I’m aware that this a phrase that would have been on the show, if there’s a deeper reference, I’m lost.

He can spend more time with dear friends:

Spelling bee.

His daughter will probably replace Vanna when the time comes. She’s filled in for her a few times.

What will his retirement gift be? Five free vowels?

He was a perfect fit for the role, it’s hard to imagine who his replacement will be.

Nobody captured the essence of peppy blandness quite as well as Pat Sajak.

“Friends”? To me, his face says otherwise:

Much like Trebek, the replacement needs to have just the right level of smugness when someone guesses the wrong letter on a puzzle they should already be able to solve.

So, not Kuni from “Wheel of Fish.”

I’m often impressed by his quick wit - he may be tougher to replace than Alex was because of that.

I hope the replacement process isn’t a repeat of the Jeopardy gong-show.