Paul Newman only has weeks to live

This is terrible news. I have to say the guy was a real nice guy with a ton of talent. :frowning:

Well, fuck. :frowning:

Yes, that’s the one, but it’s not a movie about eating eggs. It’s a film well worth watching. Close your eyes during the egg scene if you have to.

I just got this in e mail about Mr. Newman

A great man who will be missed.

Damn.

Well put, I second that!

My only Newman story, second hand.

When he was filming “Sometimes a Great Notion” on the Oregon coast, an older friend of mine was on vacation with his wife and decided to drive by the place where they were filming. It was on a Sunday and the crew was taking a day off. Mr Newman was standing there next to a modest trailer with a beer. When they got out of the car and asked if they could take a picture, he offered to stand by my friend’s wife, and did so, with his arm around her – AFTER ASKING HER PERMISSION, which she quickly gave. In the photo they showed me, she had a HUGE grin and he had that twinkly smile. A thorough gentleman, instinctively kind, and he puts his money and earning power to good causes.

Nice for a few good ones at least to have a long and successful career.

I wish him peace.

And my list of “Men Over the Age of 80 I’d Do In A New York Minute” will decrease to Kirk Douglas until Clint Eastwood has a few more birthdays :frowning:

VCNJ~

Damn. All the Greats are passing on. :frowning:

With a lump in my throat from Rick’s post, I’ll relate my humble Paul Newman story.
My parents always went to Watkin’s Glen for the annual Grand Prix races. I went for a couple years (until my folks figured out that it was a non-family-friendly atmosphere at night and left me home). My dad and I were walking the track on afternoon when we saw a couple guys struggling to push a car up a ramp into a truck. My father, ever the diplomat, went over yelling “Ya gotta put your shoulder into it, ya horse’s ass!”, and he proceeded to do just that. He’s pretty strong, and the car rolled in easily. The guy in charged turned around, smiled and thanked him and offered him a beer. He turned to me and offered me something, but I hardly heard him. At 11, I was immediately smitten by the bluest eyes I ever saw and I was speechless and slackjawed. Apparently this happens to him a lot, as he just smiled and handed me a coke and turned to chat with my dad. What a beautiful and gracious man. I hope he’s as comfortable and at peace as it is possible for the man to be. It’ll be a great loss to us all.

Jeffrey Hunter was a contender for that title (and made two movies with Joanne Woodward).

Bumping this thread for the memories.:frowning:

RIP Newman, even though I know you best from your salad dressings, after some quick reading you sound like a helluva guy.

Well shit!

He was a helluva nice guy, too. We lived in Westport for a few years while I was in junior high (literally right around the corner from where he lived) and high school, and we’d see him around town. My sister was in classes with his son Scott, and he’d come to the school to speak to classes occasionally. And his eyes were such an piercing blue, I’ve never seen anything like them.

To my total humiliation, one day when I was about 13, my sister were in downtown Westport when he came walking down the street – the unwritten rule was to treat him like a normal person, don’t bug him – and she stopped him to tell him how much she enjoyed his acting. To his credit, he was totally gracious and kind to her (I was cringing as far away as I could, being at the age of utmost humiliation).

He will definitely be missed.

And the best salsa in the supermarket!

Obit thread is here: Goodbye, Butch. (Paul Newman died.) - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board