Payroll--Give Me Back My Sick Day!

During the month of July, I worked 20 days. I was paid for 20 days. No problem, right? Wrong! My check was considerably less than I was expecting. I contacted payroll for verification. The verification was that I was paid for 19 days of work and 1 sick day. No, that’s incorrect. I worked all 20 days, so there shouldn’t be any sick day deduction. I had my immediate supervisor verify that I was at work on the day in question.

I met with payroll informally this morning. I looked at my sheet. It’s signed by me. It’s signed by my supervisor. On the date in question is written, “ill.” I didn’t recognize the writing so I’m not sure who wrote it or when. I’m told, “Well, you signed it.” Yes, I know I signed it. When I signed it, it was accurate. The “ill” was written after I signed it.

To make matters worse, there was an error in a previous paycheck where I took a sick day but was never paid for it. It was explained to me that no sick day was ever deducted for that one so “it balances out.” We’ll use June & July to illustrate this balancing act:
June: worked 19 days, used 1 sick day. Paid for 19 days, no sick day deducted nor paid.
July: worked 20 days, used 0 sick days. Paid for 20 days, sick day deducted.
Thus, this month I was paid for last month’s sick day and since I wasn’t docked last month’s sick day it is the sick day I would have accrued if I had worked all 20 days.

Great. That would be fine. If I had actually taken a sick day this month. But I didn’t. I worked all 20 days.

At this point, payroll is refusing to fix the problem since my signature is on a sheet that says I was ill.

The reason my check was less than expected was because they paid me the wrong amount. The person who takes care of that got it fixed right away, but I will have to wait several weeks before receiving the money.

I used to be a payroll clerk and you’re making my head spin. You contradict yourself several times in your own statement. I’ll start here:

Do you get paid for sick days or not?

Some companies offer this as a benefit; others do not. Do not assume they do. If it is, you will probably see two line items on the earnings portion of your paystub. One will be regular pay and another line will list the hours you are being paid in lieu of actually working (aka paid time off or PTO), such as paid vacation or sick leave. They need to be listed separately because each hour that you take as PTO will be deducted from your banked PTO hours.

“During the month of July, I worked 20 days. I was paid for 20 days. No problem, right? Wrong! My check was considerably less than I was expecting.”

is contradictory. Either you were paid for 20 days or you were not.

Once you answer this question, we’ll move on to how the hours are coded.

Simple solution: Inform the management, through your supervisor, that from henceforth, if you are to be bound by everything written by anyone on a piece of paper signed by you, you will need access to a scanner, convenient to your workplace, and will make a PDF file of everything you sign, no exceptions, so that you have verifiable proof of what was on each document that your signature goes on. And if your productivity declines as a result of this, you will not be held at fault. Alternatively, they can accept your word as a good employee, backed by your supervisor, that you did not take a sick day, and credit you back your sick day. Their choice. My guess is that they’ll go for Option B and someone in payroll will be taking a sick day to see a proctologist about the new one that was a corporate benefit.

It sounds like he only had the one sick day to use anyway. Was paid for it and had it deducted the prior month, therefore no more sick time to be paid for this month, for the sick day he didn’t actually take.

your OP is confusing.

Is this the gist of if?
In June you were sick, took the sick day, but they didn’t deduct it correctly from your check?
Then in July you didn’t take a sick day–but they deducted one?

So it basically balances out if I understand it correctly. If you look at the two months together—you worked 39 days and had one sick day.

so why are you pissed again?

Yeah, deduct the money or deduct the time? Even if the money came out right, is it that you don’t have a new accrued sick day in your “bank”, the day you would have had if your 20 were counted as work days?

I get paid sick days. I was paid for 20 days, but docked a sick day. I should have been paid for 20 days and not docked a sick day. There is only one line item on the earnings portion. It would still read 20 whether it is 0 worked days and 20 sick days or 10 & 10, 19 & 1, etc.

I had no trouble following what the OP said.

In June, he worked 19 of 20 work days. He was paid for 19 days’ work, and Payroll forgot to pay/deduct for one day sick. So - his pay was short that month, but he accrued the sick day on the books, so it could be used in the future.

In July, he worked 20 of 20 work days. He was paid for 19 days’ work and 1 sick day. He in effect lost the sick day he should have accrued for July, due to Payroll’s error.

The “paid less than expected” thing is almost a red herring, except that it was likely what caused him to notice the sick day error.

He is owed a sick day’s worth of pay or time off. It’s really simple.

Exactly! The $ amount is almost right (it will be fixed), but I was docked a sick day for a day I worked.

Oh, and I’m also pissed because apparently anyone can write anything on my time sheet after I sign it and it’s too bad for me.

You are right! Had I been paid the correct rate, I would not have realized the problem was with July instead of before.

But if you were paid for 20 days, your paycheck shouldn’t have been short.

:confused:

Right. He only found out about the problem because there was an error in payroll and he was not paid the correct ammount. When researching the problem, it was discovered that they used one of his sick days for a day he had actually worked. If they hadn’t screwed up his pay rate, he never would have noticed the problem with the sick day. There were two problems with his pay this month - incorrect pay and incorrect use of a sick day.

Your payroll person is full of shit. Any handwritten notations on the sheet should have your initials by them as verification of exactly this sort of bullshit.

Grr.

You need to raise a stink both to get your sick day back and to protect yourself (and your coworkers) in the future.

I meant to say that you should also request that the paystubs show the accounting of your sick/vacation days. Their software might allow this (ours does), and it would allow you to audit their accounting.

I meant to say that you should also request that the paystubs show the accounting of your sick/vacation days. Their software might allow this (ours does), and it would allow you to audit their accounting.

This is why I photocopied every single timesheet - regular and overtime - and kept a copy in my desk. That way, I could not only check my hours and make sure vacation/sick leave was accurate, but I could go back and prove what work I had and had not done on any given day.

Came in handy when, 8 months after I worked on a project, it was discovered that some work had been done, submitted to a client, but not documented at all, but under my name on the instrument. A cow-orker of mine had done some work, and apparently had wanted me to document it but had forgotten (I was a new employee, he was a supervisor, but even then I wouldn’t have been dumb enough to sign on work I didn’t do). He had saved the sequences with my initials, but it was clear his name was the computer log-on. He claimed all kinds of crap, such as me just taking over the computer without changing the log on, to him starting the sequence for me, etc. In the end, the time stamp proved my innocence. The asshole had started the sequence at 8:30 pm, when I never work that late, and I hadn’t recorded any overtime for that day. I had my timesheets to prove it. It almost came to requesting my keycard swipe times to prove when I went home that day, but the asshole backed down. The rest…well…it’s of questionably legallity on his part. My supervisor and manager know that I was basically framed, and I’d swear to it in court if it were ever to come to that. Believe it or not, Asshole was since promoted! I’m glad I left that company!

Anyways… yay for photocopies!

I’m not sure the copies matter at this point. Payroll’s position is that they have an original document with my signature and a day “ill.” Afterall, copies can be doctored, but not originals. :rolleyes:

I’m pretty sure the point was that this sort of hinkiness is a reason to photocopy your timesheets before you turn them in. :wink:

They’re morons and I sympathize.

You do need to pester anyone you can about the initialing changes, though. This could happen again, and it could be much bigger next time.

Maybe i can borrow the people from your payroll department when i’m ready to buy a house.

The seller and i can sign all the paperwork, then your payroll people can help me write in a cheaper sale price. After all, if it’s on the piece of paper we signed, the seller must have approved it, right?