PC game - Disco Elysium

I will be excited to join y’all soon, because Disco Elysium is coming to the PS5 in March. I’m very looking forward to it!

“Incremental progress! Yeaaaahhhh!”

One of the best quotes in a game that makes no sense out-of-context.

I played a lot today and a bit yesterday and here is what I have done so far. Again, even if I screw up my game royally, I am doing this game 100% blind with no online lookups unless I get stuck(I actually had to look up a quick video to find a path…and no, it wasn’t that protagonist forgot about the door).

Today, I:

1. Played all the way from wakeup Day 1 until 22:00, which is when my partner is about to head to sleep. I plan to sneak out and go attempt to remove the armor boots from the body(my brain told me to wait until partner is sleeping).

2. I solved the “curse of the commercial zone” mystery, having met the Dice-making lady.

3. I got the body down from the tree and tried to look at it and think about it as much as possible.

4. I unlocked the trash dumpster and went through it pretty extensively, finding “my” clipboard and notes and then I read them using the car headlights.

5. Visited the pawn shop. Visited the book shop(got a map!). Visited a junky clothing dealer(bought a wind breaker).

6. Mad a plan to lower the drawbridge on Wednesday. This seems like story-throttling, which means something happens over there.

7. Thought about and processed a few memories/thoughts, which are like power-addons.

8. Had countless conversations with my mind.

I read no guides or instruction manuals and the in-game tutorial is very rare and brief. I still don’t have memorized what every part of my brain does. Some(logic, hand-eye coordination) are obvious, while others I’m not sure what they really mean or represent. I kind of go with the flow when my brain regions speak to me.

He only has partial amnesia. He still remembers the fundamentals, such as his occupation and his partner. But details like his name, his investigation, and the whereabouts of his gun/badge are beyond him.

Amnesia isn’t the best term. It’s more like waking up with the world’s worst hangover.

I only just started Day 2 in the game and my understanding of Day 1 was that he started not remembering a partner(he had a partner?) and was surprised people think he’s an officer.

He had almost entire amnesia.

This game sounds fun. I’ll get it.

I liked the premise and got it and can report: It’s really great. I’m enjoying all of it up to now. Really interesting.

I’m going to go ahead and ask. This isn’t a spoiler, but it is a concern about the game and I want to know the answer:

I am investigating so many different things and trying to do so many things. Time obviously moves by talking(to myself and others). Can I screw this up so bad that I run out of time?

Fallout 1 had a time constraint, though it was massively easy to get what you needed. However, if you truly just did everything and never did the main quest, you failed and game was over. They removed that idea from Fallouts 2-4.

Uh, I’m doing pretty good and LOVING investigating and exploring everything I can find. I…can’t hit a “times up” moment and I realize I’m massively screwed, can I? I’m enjoying the game so much, I don’t want to rush it.

I stayed up late Day 1 to keep trying to do every single thing I could find.

I will probably try to grab it for Xbox. I just spend more time on my console than on my PC.

No, it’s not like Fallout.

Enjoy, you’re playing it the right way as in your way.

ETA: not saying time means nothing, but you’ve realised that.

I believe the Xbox and Switch versions are coming in late summer.

I rather would play on my console as well as I’m not sure if my 5 year old Surface Pro 4 could handle it :slight_smile: .

No, he doesn’t remember he’s a cop at all. You only know because the first person you talk to in the game (not counting your limbic system) says something like, “Hey, you’re that cop from last night,” and you just start rolling with it.

I wasn’t sure it was true at first(don’t spoil me if it is or isn’t), but once I called in my missing badge…it seemed somewhat confirmed. Having said that, he could not get the guys on the radio to commit to much.

Despite what might have been spoiled above, I am not 100% sure he’s an officer. The officer could have been the guy in the tree. I have no clear answer yet(early day 2)

Thanks. I began Day 2 and all I did until almost 11 AM was investigate the alleged assault on the woman in the room two doors down from me.

OK, I confess. I had to look something up, but it was more about “how to” instead of story stuff.

I was asked to unlock a door for a Union-boss. He said “behind the Whirling…and by the Greenhouse”. I could NOT find this to save my life.

Apparently, it is in a odd “other way” around the other side of the greenhouse I was not familiar with. I only ever saw it by the body…

I’m at 16:00 on Day 2 of the game and my review right now would be:

I love this game. I had no idea what to expect, but this game has really been one of the best I’ve played the last couple years. Absolutely awesome and a game I will remember for a long time to come.

Hey, I like just walking through buildings and stuff finding things, looking at things, arguing with my brain about things. I have zero need for any battles or fights. I punched(kicked, actually) one person the entire time. Anyway, what a great game and I’m glad I picked it for my current game. I needed one that could work offline and this one definitely does that and is the best single-player game I’ve played in awhile. Huge hit.

If you are on the fence, get it.

It’s such an absorbing game so you quickly buy into its world. They solved the issues of old point and click adventures very well.

I liked the roleplay aspect of it, where you as the person playing it are encouraged to roleplay. The game insists upon itself insists on you answering questions about who are you and what are doing and why and what do you believe. Bathetic letdowns and twists of sincerity.

Read about everything afterwards, they cribbed from allsorts of historical and political and philosophical and psychological ideas with varying regard for accuracy it’s pure joy to learn.

FRENCH CONNECTION haja

Yeah, it kind of is a point and click adventure of sorts, but I would actually say they fixed the Telltale Games(Walking Dead, Batman, etc.) games even more. Those are big time story/movie like games, but while I loved the Walking Dead games, you are purely on rails and it feels like it.

This game doesn’t have a lot of puzzles(so far on Day 2), but I feel like my mind’s strengths and weaknesses are sort of driving the game and giving at least a partially unique experience to me.

I loved Planescape: Torment back in the day, but I think this game is so far even outpacing that because I find the combat in some RPG games to be laborious. Torment has a very similar premise: You wake up with no idea who you are and set out to find out your identity.

I don’t think I played Amnesia back on DOS, but I know it had a similar premise as well.