PC RAM/New Graphics card will this damage anything?

I installed a 1050 ti 4GB graphics card into my PC which normally runs 8GB ram and an A10-6700 APU With Radeaon HD graphics 3700Mhz processor.

TLDWR… Will mismatched memory that seems to be working but doesn’t show up actually damage my pc?

PC is running better with it in than without.PC was very slow to load after a restart, loading programs, and sometimes not so well in programs. Things would crash unexpectedly.

I found my installed RAM was 8 GB, but 4 GB hardware reserved. leaving about 2GB for anything after the OS reserve.

I have another PC with an 8GB stick of memory that I scavenged, It barely matches up with the original memory in the pc.

Before it merely read,
Installed Physical Memory 8 GB
Total Physical memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.0 GB

My system Now shows,

Total Physical memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.71 GB
Total Virtual Memory 10.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.92 GB
Page File Space 3.0GB

So it seems that it is using the extra RAM somehow, it isn’t working correctly.
What kind of problems can this cause for my system, I won’t have money for more memory for 6 to 8 months.
Leave it in no damage should occur, or take it out and go back to my old GPU till I get more memory?

Additionally, Both RAM sticks are in the same colored slots, pc would not start with extra RAM stick in the other channel .

Your NEW GPU memory has no effect on system memory.

Your OLD APU may have been reserving part of the system memory for graphic use
and is perhaps no longer doing so if you disabled it, which would return it for system use.

Total Physical memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.0 GB

Sounds like 4GB reserved for APU video

Available Physical Memory 4.71 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.92 GB

Sounds like the APU simply disabled the onboard and gave the memory back?

I did follow a few tutorials into the bios to shut off the on board graphics. There isn’t any control there however.
I didn’t get the boost until I installed the odd memory.

Plus, the virtual memory line didn’t exist before.

Virtual memory is just space the system reserves on your hard drive that it uses like it was RAM. This effectively increases the memory pool the system has access to but even so RAM is much, much faster than virtual memory like this so if you find you are running out of RAM and hitting that virtual memory it is time to increase your RAM.

I took out the extra memory, the sys info page now reads…

Available Physical Memory 5.89 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.59 GB
Page File Space 3.0GB

Guess I will load up a game and see what happens.

So you actually tried to add another stick of memory to your computer? If so, then it does seem like it didn’t work. Fortunately, most games still seem to work on 8GB (as long as you aren’t going for 4k), so you may not need to worry about that. You may find that 8Gb is enough.

Also, it sounds to me like plugging in the new graphics card automatically disabled your built-in Radeon. The same thing happened when I added a new graphics card to my computer. I got back my reserved memory without having to change any settings.

If you do wish to try upgrading your computer to 16 GB of RAM, it would be useful to know the exact model of your computer (if you bought it pre-made) or the motherboard, along with exactly how many sticks you already have. That way we will know exactly how much memory you can add and what kind you need.

So you installed a video card and also installed an 8GB memory module from another computer?

I agree with above, the computer isn’t recognizing the new 8GB module. All the extra memory came from the GPU freeing up memory that was previously used by the onboard graphics.

Yes, I took out the memory stick, the pc is still working about the same. It just seems to be acting like it is a little starved.

I have had pretty good luck mixing and matching older ram in older units getting them to work again, but none of those have much CPU power.

I don’t really have any more ram to try, so I will just have to save up some more $$$$ and buy a matched set from Crucial or Amazon.

For the curious, it is an ASUS Essentio. Nothing really special about it. AT the time I bought it, it was cheap and my son had taken off with my other pc.