PC video problem

I installed an AOpen CD burner/rewriter in my computer today- I’m running Windows 98SE on an AMD Athlon 2200 based system. As soon as I physically installed the drive, and connected the IDE and power cable, I started up the system…

It went through the BIOS status screen, through the usual Norton scan status screen, then to the “clouds” Windows loading screen…

Then the cursor appeared in the upper left as it normally does before I get the networking prompt. Then the monitor lost the signal from the system. It does this every time I attempt to start the machine; I tried disconnecting the IDE and power cables, and putting the jumper in the Slave and Master positions… nothing works, the monitor still loses the signal when (I’m assuming) Windows starts. Has anyone had this problem? And does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks…

Try restarting in Safe Mode. Then right-click My Computer and click Properties > Device Manager tab. Look for items with a yellow (!) next to them and delete them. Then reboot.

It seems unlikely that a new IDE drive would cause something like this. First thing I’d do is try to determine if it’s a hardware or a software problem.

Try booting up in Safe Mode (press F8 during startup) and see if that works. If you can get into Safe Mode, then it’s probably some sort of driver conflict.

Otherwise, I’d start to suspect there’s a problem with the monitor hardware. Did you jiggle something loose while installing the CD drive?

It seems unlikely that a new IDE drive would cause something like this. First thing I’d do is try to determine if it’s a hardware or a software problem.

Try booting up in Safe Mode (press F8 during startup) and see if that works. If you can get into Safe Mode, then it’s probably some sort of driver conflict.

Otherwise, I’d start to suspect there’s a problem with the monitor hardware. Did you jiggle something loose while installing the CD drive?

So you had just a HD in the machine? Then it was probably set to one drive system. When you put in the other drive you also have to reset the HD to master & new one to slave otherwise it thinks you got two master drives. Also the BIos has to be reset sometimes to see the new things. Try putting the system back the way it was & see if it works right.

No… I had a read-only cd-rom installed before… I didn’t change any of the BIOS settings before taking the old one out… I’m gonna try the safe mode thing, then get back to the board… thanks to everyone who has responded…

Starting in safe mode worked, but nothing had a ! next to it (yellow or otherwise)…
Should I delete the old CD-Rom?

Ok, if starting in safe mode works, then there is a possibility that your video drivers got corrupted somehow. If you have your Windows 98SE CD, boot into safe mode, and delete everything under your video card and reboot. Windows will detect the “new” hardware, and have it search the CD-ROM for the driver to install.

First check to see if you dislodged the video card in the process of installing the CD-R drive. Pull the card out and reseat it to be sure. Of course, if you have integrated video on your mainboard, this won’t apply to you.

From what you say, it’s not a hardware or cabling problem. Just an OS/driver problem.

Boot into safe mode, go to display settings, set it to the minimum. 640x480, 256 colours. Reboot. See if that works.

If the old CD-ROM drive is no longer connected to the system, boot into safe mode and delete that entry. Then reboot into normal mode. See if that helps.

If that doesn’t work, disconnect the new CD-Writer drive. Reboot. Does the computer now boot into normal mode ?

Boot into BIOS settings screen. Is the IDE Secondary Master free ? If so, set the CD-Writer jumper to be Master and connect it to the Secondary IDE cable. Otherwise set it to whichever other setting is free. Connect the CD-Writer accordingly. Reboot.

The video is integrated…

I ended up formatting the partition of my hard drive with Windows installed on it… pain in the arse, but I tried all the other advice and it didn’t work.

Someone else suggested that the motherboard was grounding out on the side of the case, but that didn’t fly either.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice though…