Peace - Viva la France!

I just read that the most recent peace agreement between NATO and the Yugoslavian Republic was signed on a French military base. Countless major peace agreements and diplomatic talks have occured on French soil. Is there a reason for this? Does France for some reason bring visions of peace to mind, or is it just getting to be tradition?

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

I’ll hazard that many treaties in past centuries were signed in France because the language there was one spoken by all diplomats. It is also the fact that many capitulations and armistests took place in France (1815, 1871, 1918, 1940)and it was just a convenient place to sign on the dotted line.

The French are experts on surrendering.

Also, the losers can look at the French and think: " No matter how wretched and miserable we are now, no matter how vile we are, no matter how much the world despises us … JUST LOOK AT THE FRENCH, FOR GOD’S SAKE! It could be worse!"

If you were a powerful world leader or diplomat and you were going to spend several weeks or months working on a treaty, where would you rather spend the time: Paris or Dayton, Ohio?

Groundskeeper Willie (of “The Simpson’s”) greeting to French diplomats:

“Bonjourrrrrrr…ye cheese-eating surrender monkeys!”

“A friend will help you move house. A best friend will help you move a body.”–Alexi Sayle

To be precise, he was teaching French at Springfield Elementary, due to budget cuts.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green