Peanut allergies: Should extreme cases be permitted on commercial flights?

If it’s so important for your child to go to Disney World and inhaling a peanut molecule can kill them, how is it an inconvenience for you to obtain a face mask and gloves for them?

I really doubt Disney World is going to institute a peanut ban, so that face mask and gloves will probably come in handy.

an ED physician?
Hmm…I thought peanut allergies caused some people problems with their stomach, or their breathing, etc…Can it also cause a -ahem–certain problem for men, too? :slight_smile:
(Yeah, I know the D key is near the R key…but when you get an oporturnity like this, well,…sorry, but somebody had to say it. :slight_smile: )

Why does your daughter’s mild peanut allergy necessitate informing flight attendants when you board the plane? Do you have any reason to believe that someone eating a peanut-containing snack in the next row will cause a problem?

This.

I’ll take it a step further. Let’s get rid of the silly bags of peanuts even if there’s no allergic person on the plane. I’d rather enjoy silence during those few hours then listen to the crinkling of a hundred bags and the munching of a hundred mouths.

If you can’t make it a few hours without eating something bring it with you. Or better yet… Don’t.

I got nuts in my last two US domestic flights as an option as late as two weeks ago – I could also choose chips.

Legal liability. Nobody wants to get sued over something nominally preventable and Concerned Parents will just stand there looking at the gate agent/flight attendant, who does not have the means or skills to triage the severity of the allergy, expecting them to Do Something about it.

Like I said it’s easy to simply not serve the peanuts. However requiring individual private citizens to refrain from consuming their own peanut-containing products (which they may not even be aware contain peanuts!!) anywhere in the cabin is a trickier proposition. If a nutbar two rows over is an imminent peril, maybe some other precautions were in order.

Well, they do both invovle the close proximity of nuts. :smiley:

I’m always a little surprised when I see people bringing their own food on planes. As far as I can recall, I never saw this outside the US (though in fairness those were all 8+ hour flights on which meals were served.)

This doesn’t work at all. If airborne peanut vapors are a problem, they would be so regardless of who brought the peanuts aboard.

A plane is a closed, self-contained environment. You should no more allow peanut dust in the air of a plane, given advanced notice of a person with the allergy, then you should allow cigarette smoke.

There was no advance notice in the OP’s case. He was already on the flight when they made the announcement.

Then get some headphones if you want silence so badly. Or ear plugs.

It is nonsense. Society shouldn’t pander to the needs of the few. If you allergies are that bad then shame on you for risking your kids life just to have the speed and convenience of air travel. Drive.

And shame on you for thinking an entire plane full of people should bend to accommodate your needs.

people with extreme circumstances should use a charter airline or surface travel where they might be more isolated or have quicker access to emergency medical care.

Do you think that not being allowed to eat 2 ounces of peanuts is more of a problem than having your throat seize up at 30,000 feet? :rolleyes:

That was my thought: good luck getting everyone at Disney World to not eat peanuts during the kid’s visit.

Then, as my grandfather would say, the OP ought to be a man and suck it up.

Notwithstanding the complete implausibility of anything the OP does triggering an allergic reaction in the allergic person?

There is clearly a line below which a person’s health situation warrants a reasonable accommodation by others around them. If the passengers were asked to remain silent because any noise could kill a fragile person with a near-deadly case of tinnitus, I think the line has been crossed and that’s an unreasonable thing to ask of other people.

Snacking preferences, however, fall well below the line. There’s no earthly reason that someone has to insist on eating shitty airline peanuts when shitty airline pretzels may be offered; and I think every human being in the world is capable of going a couple hours without ripping into the 6 oz bag of Planters that they bought at the Hudson News for $7.

If you happen to be one of the approximately three individuals in the world with a peanut allergy so severe that you can have an attack just from being in proximity to peanuts, then you need to make appropriate accommodations for that, not the rest of the world. The needs of the seven billion outweigh the needs of the three. If we’re going to bend over backwards to accommodate such an incredibly rare condition, then there are a lot of other far more common conditions we’d also need to accommodate.

For instance, for every conceivable material they could make the seat upholstery from, there’s going to be someone who’s allergic to it, and will have a reaction from sitting on it. Does the airplane need to have interchangeable seats, which the flight attendants replace every flight according to the needs of the passengers?

Why? Airplane food is crap. Why not bring a decent sandwich for lunch on a long flight? That’s what I do, whenever I can.

As for the OP, it seems reasonable that if someone is so allergic to peanuts that he can’t have peanuts present on the plane, he needs to declare that in advance so the airline can make alternate arrangements for whatever food they intend to serve the rest of the passengers.

Could the airline refuse to serve severely allergic people and cite liability? “Our planes are not equipped to deal with that kind of medical emergency and we don’t want a simple accident to result in death, so we can’t take you on this plane.”