Pee Foam

Okay. Time for hands on experimentation.

The largest component of urinary protein is albumen, the same protein as in egg white. I just diluted about 2 ml of egg white in 1 ml of room temperature water mixed gently but throughly and then divided it into two bowls. That created a solution with about twice the protein content of normal urine. Beating the first bowl with a whisk vigorously for 30 seconds resulted in hardly any bubbles. To the second bowl I added a capful of vinegar and then began whisking. Foam formed almost immediately.

So pee foam requires both the protein in urine* and* some degree of acidity. I still wonder if there are some small amounts of lipids in urine that have polar and hydrophobic ends, like the lipids of soaps and of cell membranes, that would act like soaps … of course that urinal cake might contribute something!

Speaking of making meringue …
Actually, adding a bit of cream of tartar is essential to getting a high volume and longer lasting result. IIRC, the acid helps prevent the proteins from curling up again as quickly.

That was 1 L of water … sorry.

And yes, same idea. Cream of tartar being, as you obviously know Rhythmdvl potassium tartarate, an acidic salt.

My favourite bit of cream of tartar trivia is that it comes from the inside of wine casks.

How much cream of tartar trivia is there?

Oh c’mon. You know better than to ask that here!

It is called cream of tartar “because of the crust of crystals which forms on the surface of the liquor in the process of purification by recrystallization.” (Think of cream at the top of a non-homogenized milk bottle.)

It is the other main ingredient in baking powder, along with baking soda. When moistened the acid and the base mix and release CO2. “Double acting baking powder” then also releases more CO2 when heated.

The reddish-brown raw material in the cask is called argol or beeswing.

Some people thinking drinking it mixed in water is a treatment for acne.

(Google is fun.)

I always thought cream of tartar came from people with poor oral hygiene…

…only if they’re an ethnic group in Russia, Ukraine and a few 'stans.

Tartar sauce, on the other hand…

The SDMB has now reached a new level.
But did you really have to say “hands-on”