Pelosi's Palatial Plane Preference: Piggishness or Republican Pablam?

Sure. Give him a call.

John, you really have this one wrong. I don’t know how the reporters handled the story, but it didn’t backfire on Hillary and she didn’t “try” to make a joke. She was hilarious! I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but she delivered one of the most humanizing lines that she could have. For at least a little while, she was one of us and I think she knew it.

Working range vs max range -

An aircraft on an IFR flight plan (which Pelosi’s would always be) must have fuel to reach its destination, execute a missed approach, fly to the nearest alternate, and land with at least 30 minutes of fuel left.

From Elvis’s cite, the Gulfstream III has a max range of 3715 nautical miles, while maintaining proper IFR reserves. That’s with a max fuel load. This cite says the C20 has a max range of 4700 miles - but that might be the Gulfstream IV variant.

In any event, either of those two planes can easily make the trip. My understanding, however, is that it’s not the range that’s actually the issue, but size - Pelosi has apparently requested a plane big enough to carry her staff, immediate family, and her California congressional delegation, all of which requires 42 seats. The C20 only has 14. The C-32 (modified Boeing 757) is the only aircraft in the 89th airlift wing (the one responsible for hauling around Washington politicians) which is both big enough and has the required range.

I’m not taking a position on this - there could be lots of reasons we’re not privy to for all this. Perhaps the C-20 doesn’t have the electronics that would be required if Pelosi had to assume the Presidency from the air. Or perhaps it’s so loaded down with various avoinics, countermeasures, and other equipment that it can’t fly with a full fuel load. Or maybe Pelosi is just flexing her muscle and trying to grab up a big perk that is valuable to her - being able to fly people around with you is a good way to get them on your side, and it’s a great perk to offer California legislators when you want to twist their arm. But really, I have no clue what’s really going on here.

Factual answer: At least on paper, the C-20 is more than capable of making the flight home from Washington with plenty of reserves. However, my understanding is that the real issue is a bit more subtle - the Air Force is saying that she will have the same kind of access other VIPs do, which means she’d get one of the planes out of the pool, and that plane may or may not be able to make the trip non-stop. So it’s not specifically about the C-20, but about the fact that she just might be put on a plane that has to refuel along the way.

For the record, the Bush White House came down on Pelosi’s side. Tony Snow said today that the speaker had requested nothing inappropriate, and the issue was being blown way out of proportion.

You’re kidding, right? There is nothing that a right-winger can say—no slur so offensive, no allegation so baseless–to make him lose credibility, or to keep him from being invited back to the talking head shows.

I also got a “just between us gals” vibe out of it. It didn’t seem to “backfire” with her audience, so I got to wonder if maybe the reporters with whom it “backfired” might not have been predominantly men?

Sorry, it’s not true.

For VFR flight, normal reserves are 45 minutes of air time, and the typical light aircraft might have an endurance before hitting the reserve limit of 3-5 hours. For IFR flight, the reserve requirements are as I mentioned above.

Not only that, but in larger aircraft you generally only fuel them for the range you need plus reserves. You don’t carry along lots of extra fuel, because fuel is weight, and weight degrades performance, increases fuel consumption, and generally makes the whole affair more expensive.

The C-20 Gulfstream III is a very long range commuter jet. The distance from Washington to San Francisco by air is only 2128 nautical miles. The C20 could almost fly there and divert all the way back to Washington without refueling.

Christian Coalition of America Condemns Speaker Pelosi’s Request for Large Air Force Jet to Transport to San Francisco Political Cronies, Favorite Members of Congress; Relatives and Friends

Uhhh…what are you talking about? I think we’re in agreement.

About 1800 miles (the difference between Illinois and California from Washington).

As the range is also important in an emergency situation, I have the feeling a C 20 would fall short.

The thing that the right wing media forgets also is that after 9/11 the House established first with Hastert that the speaker of the House needed the extra security of a military plane.

Regarding if her staff and immediate family can fly with Pelosi:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/08/MNGN5O11UT1.DTL&type=politics

[bolding mine]

Ok, I guess then we should check the standards that they used with Hastert, right?

Oh right, I forgot, it would not be prudent (or typical for the former Republican congress) to find out what rules were accepted during the Republican congress regarding this item. IMHO it is telling the obvious projection I notice when some critics are saying that Pelosi wants a “Lincoln bedroom in the sky”, implying that Lobbyists would be invited, could it be that the white house defense is coming so strong because they are afraid that the media would ask next what people Hastert invited?

We’re in agreement that the Republicans pushing this tripe are the douches here. I was scoffing at the idea that if the douches in question “have their faces rubbed in it”, it will “prevent them from stirring similar shit the next time”.

Rub all you want; they’ll still stir the same shit the next time, and the media will still take them just as seriously.

Funny you should mention that…

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/Comment/LynnSweet/020807.html

What did I get wrong? The reporters I’ve heard all said it was clear she was talking about Bill, and then she denied it later. I call that a backfire with the reporters. Instead of a joke, it became a news item. Do you think that was what she planned?

If you have some evidence that they were mostly men, it would be interesting to see. Otherwise your speculation is just that-- speculation. I saw an interview the next day on Hardball with 2 female and 2 male reporters and they all said it was clear she was talking about Bill, even though she backpedaled on that later saying it was about Osama and Saddam (or whoever).

BTW, **Zoe **and elucidator… it’s interesting that you zero in on my post about the “backfire” comment but had nothing to say about the real point of my post, which was the incorrect statement by **Apos **that those two stories were “pushed” on the media by the right wing. Care to comment about that?

That is the most commonly accepted meaning. When one says “I wonder”, it is widely understood to imply conjecture, speculation. As bitter as it is to admit, you’ve certainly got me on that one, John. I must freely confess, yes, indeed, that was a speculation. No getting around it, you got me dead to rights. Woe.

Uh… Sam… not to nitpick…

My FAR/AIM says 30 minutes reserve for daytime VFR, 45 for night VFR and IFR. Did you get the two switched around?

Anyhow - even aside from “adequate reserves” (and for these flights the air force/government may have higher requirements than the FAA) there are factor other than just maximum range to consider here, as Sam and others have pointed out.

From the article I linked to before:

It looks as if these guidelines are already in place.

And the Speaker said that she’d rather go commercial in that case, which seems legit to me, and the Sergeant-at-arms said that they’d need to get a plane that could make it the whole way.

Again from the article:

Sam, your speculation that the C-20 can make it across the country is interesting, but assuming she was actually told that it would not, I’m guessing whoever told her that has information superior to yours.

Daniel

Ok, thanks Sam.

My bolding. I thought all planes, once they leave the ground, had enough fuel (or energy at least) to reach the crash site…!

That damn lib’rul media we keep hearing so much about…!!

Here’s the Republican National Committee on **Pelosi’s Power Trip: “Non-Stop” Nancy Seeks Flight Of Fancy. **
I see that their research capabilities have not improved since the Days of Douglas Feith.

Can you back up your understanding with a cite? I thought this had already been debunked.