Penalties self-imposed in any sports besides golf?

Basically what the OP says.

In golf, it is not uncommon for competitors to point out their transgressions, and to impose penalties on themselves. I’m not particularly interested in debating whether or not this is a good idea. But my buddy and I came up blank when we tried to identify any other sport in which such thing was the norm. Any thoughts?

I don’t suggest it is the norm, but it is not unheard of for a tennis player to give back a point after a mistaken call by a referee.

I can’t find any cites but I am convinced that I have seen snooker players call fouls on themselves in televised play. Whether it’s a norm or not, I don’t know. In general, the refs in snooker are pretty good at picking things up.

The players are usually pretty good at helping the ref with the replacement of balls when having to replay escape shots out of snookers too.

In curling, it’s considered good sportsmanship to point out your own rule infractions.

Thanks. Good examples.

Now, I’m not an expert of the rules of golf, but I believe they impose an obligation on participants to “self govern.” Any idea whether curling, tennis, snooker do likewise?

Another kida goofy thing is that golf has the same essentially the same rules applicable to amateur and pro competitions. In friendly matches, or most tournaments, it is not practical to obtain an official ruling in each instance. In such cases, it makes sense for the competitors to police themselves.

I’m thinking about a situation in tennis, or volleyball - if I hit the ball over the net, and my opponent is not in position to see whether it is in or out, but I can clearly see it is out. Or maybe the only ref is some high school kid making minimum wage. I would imagine/hope most good sports would acknowledge that it was out. But when you get to the pro level where there are refs, TV cameras, and such, I might imagine being less eager to offer my interpretation for the officials’.

Yes, in curling you are definitely supposed to call burned (touched by broom while sweeping) or moved rocks on yourself. There is nobody else in a position to do so. Of course, for that very reason, if you fail to do so, there will be no sanction, because no one will know about it. But by rule you are obligated to do so.

It is rare, but they can do it. The camera-aided linespotters have made it even more unnecessary.

Ultimate [Frisbee] has no referees. You are supposed to call your own fouls (or accept it when another player calls one on you like pickup basketball)…

Agree with the earlier comments on curling; see the Rules of Curling for General Play of the Canadian Curling Association, which begin with a code of ethics:

Snooker definitely: it’s expected that if you foul, you should call it. Quite often the player on the table is the best-placed to see certain fouls. For example accidently touching a ball (very rare for pro players admittedly) hitting the wrong ball/missing the right ball (especially when contact is minimal) or playing a push shot.

There was a minor controversy a few years ago because one player didn’t call a foul against himself and his opponent bad-mouthed him on TV.

Cool. Thanks.

Sailboat racing also has a tradition of the competitors calling their own fouls. The terms of a given race usually state the actions competitors must taken in order to absolve themselves from a foul.

A sailboat that touches a buoy typically must do a 360 degree turn (one tack and one gybe) to clear a foul. Any other penalty is usually a 720 degree (two tacks and two gybes). And that’s it.

In fencing, the whole point of saying “touché” was to indicate that, yes, you touched me, and the referee who hasn’t yet called it should award you the point.

When I did a little fencing a few years back, competitions were all electric, and if the buzzer didn’t go off, it didn’t happen.

One of the things I disliked about it. I was coming from a full contact martial arts background, looking for something to do after a couple of pretty bad injuries. There is a whole strategy to making the tip depress just enough to register a touch. Didn’t appeal to me.

College football, kind of.

If a team is about to get into hot water over NCAA infractions, they can try to head it off by imposing their own sanctions.

They are usually laughably small (we’ll suspend one player for one quarter vs NE New Mexico A&M), and then the NCAA brings the hammer down.

I don’t recall if any self-imposed sanctions were accepted by the NCAA.

This is mostly true. There is a new professional league, called Major League Ultimate, that has refs. Also, USA Ultimate will use observers for tournaments.

cmosdes - certified observer

While not really a penalty against themselves, soccer teams will either not contest a drop ball or will purposely kick a ball out of play in deference to the other team.

There is a “Code” used in tennis (in the US) that governs how to play unofficiated matches. It includes:

Not a rule infraction, but there was a time in cricket when a player was expected to “walk”, i.e. declare himself out, if he knew he had hit a ball that was subsequently caught by the wicketkeeper, rather than have the umpires judge whether any contact was made. I suspect that no longer happens, at least at the higher levels.

In some motorsport if an advantage is gained by braking the rules inadvertently, e.g. overtaking the car in front by missing a chicane, you can avoid any subsequent penalty by promptly giving the advantage back.

There is a belief amongst some cricket fans that a batter should “walk” if he’s edged the ball to the slips or keeper.

It’s only ever used as a means to bash the sportsmanship of the other team, though.

In heavy combat in the Society for Creative Anachronism, if you strike your opponent with what is considered the flat of the blade, or what is considered the haft of a polearm or mace, you are required to call it “not good”, because your opponent probably has no idea. Also, if you feel the blow you struck really wasn’t sufficient to be considered effective, you can and should say so to your opponent, but he is under no obligation to not count the blow if he deems it sufficient.