People Who Don't Trick or Treat - Bite Me

Have there been threads like this? Even one? I haven’t seen any. IOW, link??

Uh.

It wasn’t on the Dope. I was talking about the other parenting messageboards that I frequent.

:: looking for ghost costume under which to hide ::

Pittings are limited only to things that have happened on this board? Must everything be about you?

Well, perhaps if the OP had said “I am sick of threads ON PARENTING BOARDS”, then there wouldn’t be any confusion, now would there?

However, she instead chose to say “I am sick of threads that…blah blah blah”, and most of us, for some crazy reason, thought she meant this one.

Imagine that!

Hey genius…when the OP says

WITHOUT any qualifiers…call us crazy, but most folks would think that the OP is referring to the SDMB.
:smack:

I thought this was going to be about douchebag “adults” (ya’ know- 16 and over) trick or treating. Man, I fucking HATE that.

My mom never rationed out candy on Halloween or Easter. Man, I loved me some Halloween and Easter. What I could do was trade my candy up- give her a bag or two of candy and she would give me a toy (usually a cheapie one).

(This is a hijack.)
Does it make a difference if I am taking a friend of mine who has never been…?
(That was a hijack.

I rationed my own candy. I’d divide it into catergories, and eat the least favored things first. So it would go something like this:

1. Yucky hard candies, like rootbeer barrels or horehound drops.

2. Gum, candy corn, those chalky sour tabs

3. Lifesavers, Suckers, licorice

4. Anything part chocolate, like Tootsie Pops

5. And saved until last, mini-chocolate bars, Hershey’s Kisses

How old are you? Will you actually have a costume? If yes, then I would say it’s ok. I would probably say something like, “Oh yup, my friend never has been trick-or-treating so I am taking him! How cool, huh?” Something lame like that, to get across that you aren’t an evil, cheap, child’s candy stealer :wink:

Fair enough. I agree with you.

But in the future, you might want to say what you mean to say, and use a smaller brush. I don’t like being called nasty names for my parenting choices, especially about something as stupid as whether or not I take my kid trick or treating or ration out his candy.

Fair back atcha, complaint-wise; it’s all I can do to write a single coherent paragraph these days, between removing foodstuff from my daughter’s right nostril and retrieving parts of the dishwasher (why on earth would they take the rack out and drive it around the kitchen?).

You bet your ass I’m taking them out for T or T - time to pimp candy for Mommy, kids! Plus their bumblebee costumes are too cute for words.

Wow, that’s impressive! A rant that is well worth it.

Jeez…

Is a happy medium acceptable to the OP? I went trick or treating with my kids. But I also rationed candy. Especially when they were little. And no, not “slooooowly one twizzler at a time”. A reasonable handful, and if they wanted more, a few more then.

Moderation in all things, even moderation. It is just common sense to not want your child to be miserably sick all night (and you have to sit up with them), or to wake up at 3am with them puking up 400 “fun sized” snickers.

No, it doesn’t. Trick or treating is for kids. Leave the candy for them.

If your friend wants the experience of trick or treating, why don’t you two take some kids out and let them do the trick-or-treating?

Now that the OP has clarified her rant, I’ll weigh in against grinchey parents who use their kids as tools against holidays…even the silly ones. Rationing junk food so kids don’t puke their guts out is one thing. Deliberate grandstanding is another, especially when adults use hapless kids to do it.

My city–and library–throw a blast for kids at Halloween. Everybody gathers downtown for costume contests, spooky story tellers, free popcorn, candy and generally a lot of ridiculous fun. The place swarms with pint-sized aliens, princesses, horses, ghosts and whatever, carooming into people’s knees because their masks slipped sideways. But all of 'em were thrilled at playing dress-up and pretend with grown-ups actually getting it for once.

Trolleys ferried the kids (and parents) to a haunted house and other places, including the library. We decorated the Children’s Room for a widely publicized, two-hour Halloween stop during the festivities. We made a Space theme, complete with a maze of sparkling lights through the book stacks, a space ship control deck and the Story Pit covered in black paper with black-light planets, stars, a cow jumping over the moon and SpongeBob SquarePants inexplicably floating in zero-G. Kids loved it.

Except for a few forlorn little souls whose prune-faced parents dragged them in, just to gritch about how they didn’t approve of any of it. Not on religious grounds, mind you; the parents just had to make the point it wasn’t sufficiently intellectually stimulating. They dragged their kids in, for a brief, well-publicized event, just to make a point of making their kids reject it all without having the slightest clue why.

Nothing will suit everybody and that’s life. But some tactics are just vicious.

Related rant in our local rag.

Follow up.

Wow, so that’s why I never had a real birthday party. (Even though my birthday is on the 1st.) I was never even given a choice. But I still always got cake. Woo hoo, sugar overload!

And it’s not about the candy. Several times when I was young my parents made us trick or treat for UNICEF. I don’t remember us complaining much about not getting candy. It was about being out after dark and dressing up and seeing all the other kids dressed up and ringing doorbells. Even the night before I turned 5, I felt particularly self-denying and altruistic collecting for charity instead of getting candy. And I’d made a promise to stop sucking my thumb when I turned 5, and I made good on that promise. I feeled so growed up! I felt like I was four feet tall!

And now, moments away from turning 44, I wish I could still trick or treat. Once again, not for the candy (OK, a few of those mini Mr. Goodbars would be accepted), I still want to dress up and haunt the neighborhood. In this neighborhood, I can’t even give out candy, because such things are not done around here.

My parents let my brother and I fully enjoy Halloween, and I have great memories for it. It was up to our own discretion what we did with our candy. Once I ate too much and got sick, and when I went crying to my mom she told me I got what I deserved and shouldn’t pig out on it. I was more sensible with it after that.
I can kind of understand the heightened paranoia these days about all sorts of evil items shoved into candy, but thoroughly checking a kid’s candy when they get home should alleviate that. Planting frightening ideas in a kid’s head is unnecessary.

No, wouldn’t want to frighten kids on Halloween. :wink:

Do you know that the candy paranoia thing is bogus? There’s probably a Snopes on it, but what I read months ago is that in the two (?) documented cases where kids were poisoned via Halloween candy, it was actually their parents’ doing?

I think it’s a good idea to stick to friendly neighbors’ homes, anyway, at least with little 'uns. They’re the ones who’re going to enjoy seeing the kids in their costumes.