People who insist on mispronouncing words

You’re probably right, though it might depend on how you phrased the question.

Phrased like you did here, you jog my memory and I think “Oh yeah, those are French and there’s a gender thing with the number of e’s on the end.”

However, in ordinary language, I’m going to use fiance for either gender. It’s not a French word coming out of my keyboard. :slight_smile:

Yeah, when someone is posting, often it will be a straight guy talking about his fiancé.

I agree, use true American words with English origin like “ordinary,” “language,” “fiance,” “gender,” [del]et cetera[/del] u.s.w.

Qlso French keyboqrds will nor,qlly type things out like this.

My brother pronounces “meme” as “may-may”. I tried correcting him a few times, but it didn’t take and I gave up.

A coworker regularly uses the word “puter” for computer. I’m so glad that I don’t own a gun, but she would be dead a million times over if I did.

Some of these may be regionalisms. For example, I pronounce creek with the same vowel that I use in been (crick and bin, resp.). I have a friend who always uses stresses the 2nd syllable of Arabic. I don’t know why he does that. I always say, “Oh you mean ARabic.” Canadians all say of-ten, which my American Heritage dictionary doesn’t even list as a possible pronunciation.

There are people who simply don’t make the connection with how other people pronounce something and the way they do. They can’t even be brought to hear it. I know, because I am married to someone like that. He has so many words he pronounces differently than anyone else that my daughter terms his speech an idiolect, a dialect of one speaker. He has other probably linked language difficulties such as being unable to reproduce an accent, or remember even the simplest rules of pronunciation for another language. Nor can he match pitch to save his life.

It has to be an aural dysfunction, as he is highly intelligent, fairly well-read, and is an excellent speller. I imagine there are others with the same kind of issue.

There are also those people who are charmed by some twist on a pronunciation or phrase and do not grasp that the charm is in the novelty, which disappears with repetition. It becomes a speech habit without them being aware. That’s just annoying and common.

cough

so, um … how is LAN pronounced “EL-AY-EN”?

You’re not the only one confused on this.

Is the problem that this person is pronouncing the “d” at the end? Because other than that, I thought LAN was pronounced like land. And I just checked some online pronunciation sites and that’s how they pronounce it.

I worked with a woman who pronounced the abbreviation ‘admin’ as admit. With a T. She typed it correctly probably 50 times a day but never hooked up the N on the keyboard to the T in her mouth. Similarly I’ve been in meetings where ONE person out of 10+ consistently and repeatedly mispronounces another attendee’s name. Does he not hear the difference in how we’re pronouncing it? Does she think we’re all pronouncing it wrong? Is this passive-aggressive weirdness?

I know a guy who refused to learn how to pronounce a co-worker’s name. She was Iranian, and her name did have an odd syllabification for English, but other Americans managed to learn to say her name correctly. This guy insisted on calling her an approximation of her name that was grating to me, and must have been awful for her, but she was always pleasant to him. He just brushed it off with “I’m an American, I speak English, I’m too old to learn anything else, and no one should expect me too.” It seemed hideously insensitive, if not a little racist, to me.

My mother is a linguist, so I understand how the brain processes phonemes, and it is true that an adult who has never learned a second language, or been much around other dialects of his native language does have trouble pronouncing foreign words, or words that just don’t fit the typical pattern of his native language*, so it’s not that I have no sympathy for someone who finds a foreigner’s name difficult, but it was the guy’s dismissive attitude that I found offensive.
*The reason so many people want to say “nucular” instead of “nuclear” is that it isn’t typical for English to have two vowels in a row. In some languages, it’s perfectly, and occurs in lots of words. I remember when “Vietnam” used to get pronounced “Vetinam” a lot for the same reason.

I have never heard it said like this, and the online pronunciation site I found pronounces it “lan” with no D at the end: LAN pronunciation

Which ones did you check?

ETA - or are you tryin’ to rope in a fool :o :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s how I understood the OP.

I know a guy who pronounces words the way he sees them on the printed page, and not as they are actually pronounced. (One small example, “Wagner” the composer. It is correctly pronounced “vahg-ner”, is it not? He will say “wag-ner”.) Not that the topic comes up often, and this is one small example, but he does it just to tick me off, I know it. So if he wants to sound like an ignoramus doofus, so be it.

For a while, I was pronouncing it like “me me”… like just sticking two “me’s” side by side.
One thing that I personally cannot stand is when people pronounce “vase” like “v-ah-s” (sorry, I’m not that great with explaining pronunciation… but I’m sure you can get what I mean… an “ah” sound in the middle rather than an “ay”)

That word has so many bad pronunciations – “bad” being the ones you don’t personally use:

vace
vaze
voss
voz
glass thang you put flars in

Ah, I think “voss” best describes the one I’m talking about… perhaps with a slightly softer “s” sound at the end?

I’m a member of the “vace” party.
… hehe “flars”

Yes, they pronounce it with a “d” at the end.

I’m Canadian, and I say “often” as “offen,” and I don’t hear “of-ten” that often (ha.)

I hate when people type “Murican” or “Merican” or “Merkin” to mean “American.” Ugh, it’s not funny, clever, or cute.

Same goes for “Windoze” and “Micro$oft.” Get over yourselves.

I think sub-tull might be a regionalism.
I have been mispronouncing the word “segue” right up until your post. :slight_smile: