People you were surprised to find out are alive

Heres is a listof living centenarians on Wikipedia. I admit I haven’t heard of most of them but the one that did surprise me was Giap, the Vietnamese general.

Kirk Douglas was in the news for something or other (nothing terribly important, at least not important enough to remember what it was about) and I was astonished that he was still alive. I thought he’d died years ago. I think I may have been confusing him with Lloyd Bridges. Surely he’s not still alive.

Nope. Died in '98. Would have been 104, if he WERE still alive.

And she just won an Emmy last night! Her first.

[Bob Hope]It’s great she’s getting recognition so early in her career[/Bob Hope]

I was surprised to learn that Mort Walker (creator of Beetle Bailey and Hi & Lois) was still alive.

You know, by posting that link, you helped *Death find Horacio Coppola, who was successfully hiding in Argentina until last night. :slight_smile:

*yes, Death is a regular member here. He mostly lurks, but sometimes post. Real threadkiller, though

Until yesterday, I thought cult actress Susan Tyrell had died years ago. Nope, just yesterday.

Hall of Famer Ace Parker. 100 years old! Holy cow!

Casey Kasem is the person I most recently did a “still living?” pause for after reminiscing on the Zack Attack episode of Saved by the Bell.

Huh…I’m actually surprised the judge let him serve. I would think having a celebrity in the jury pool would prove too much of a distraction.

And if I was either the plaintiff or defendant, I’d be very sure to state my love of Guns and Roses…multiple times…:smiley:

When the actor playing Goober Pyle died, I was surprised to hear that Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) was still alive. I could have sworn he died years ago.

Beverly Cleary still kicking at 96! I mean, I read her books when I was in elementary school!

I remember her! Judy Blume too! (Judy’s alive and well, a generation younger)

Don Rickles.

Andy Griffith (had to check Wikipedia just to make sure).

Just checked wiki, Judy’s 74.

Esther Williams, 90.

His name came up in a recent thread I started about which living comic strip creator had been around the longest.

Shirley Temple, only 84.

This morning, when I saw on Wikipedia’s “Recent Deaths” page that LeRoy Nieman died, my reaction was, “Wow! He was still alive?” :smiley: Dumb of me, I know.

what’s the sound of an Airplane? WOOOOOSH

:wink: