Pepper spray prophylactic

I came across a product similar to this , which is billed as a decontaminant that helps someone who has been exposed to pepper spray recover from its effects. It got me wondering: is there any sort of prophylactic measures that can minimize the effects of pepper spray before the exposure occurs?

I don’t know, but I expect a lot of views from people who don’t know that prophylactic can refer to things other than birth control.

Gas mask comes to mind… Swim goggles for your eyes, at least.

Or maybe good manners, to prevent being sprayed in the first place.
:stuck_out_tongue:

For those who ponder:

Prophylactic: A preventive measure. The word comes from the Greek for “an advance guard,” an apt term for a measure taken to fend off a disease or another unwanted consequence.

Now if you want to debate equating pregnany to disease, well that’s a whole other can o’ worms.

Believe you me, if you had just hit me with pepper spray [sub]for whatever resason[/sub], I’ll be damned if I buy you another damn drink, let alone ask for your number. :mad:

Tripler
“'Fire in a Can’™ Brand Pepper Spray: One shot to the face and there’s no way you’re going to get laid!”

I thought that condoms were prophylactics because they prevented STIs, not because they prevented pregnancy. I mean, most people don’t refer to birth control pills as prophylactics, do they?

When I went out to Afghanistan, they gave me the little chloroforaquinimoxicilli. . . whatever pills. The Doc called 'em “malaria prophylaxis” [sic]. So yeah, I guess they could call just about anything propholactics.

Tripler
Not that I’d want to get pregnant anytime soon, boy howdy. . .

But that makes sense because they’re preventing a disease–malaria. Birth control pills aren’t (to my knowledge) called prophylactics because they aren’t preventing any diseases.

By popular accounts, crystal meth can make the weakest perp impervious to most police take-down tactics.

I think you can build up some measure of tolerance to the effects of pepper spray, too. I know it takes more and more hot sauce to burn my tongue as I get older.

:smack: You’re right. Hah, I came into a thread to try and correctly define a word and failed.

Move along, nothing to see here folks.

I’ve heard of flavored condoms, but I don’t think too many folks will find capsaicin to be a turn on. Talk about fire in the hole! :eek:

Then you don’t want to read about Warm Wee Willy - rather than the usual menthol, this “warming lube” used capsaicin with fairly unpopular results a couple of years ago.

Ouch.

Well, you really fought some ignorance there! I read the article and discovered a whole new use for nitroglycerin. Talk about explosive sex! :stuck_out_tongue:

Testy

I knew a corporal in the army who had become almost completely immune to the affects of tear gas over the years. He was in charge of running the gas tent that we used to practice putting on our masks. The only thing it did to him was make him sneeze a lot.

Not the same thing obviously but the ol’ body can apparently get used to some terrible stuff…

Whatever drug this guy is on seems to make one pretty much immune to the stuff!

http://spikedhumor.com/articles/8229/Immunity_to_Pepper_Spray.html

I can’t help but notice that was posted on April Fool’s Day.

Son of a…

Taken in by a gag on an otherwise very serious site. :smack:

What about vaseline? It wouldn’t protect your eyes but it might protect exposed skin.